Notices
Audio, Security, & Automotive Lighting Troubleshoot wiring problems and get equipment suggestions all in one place. Now expanded to include Automotive Lighting

Newbie here

Old 12-28-2005, 08:07 AM
CarputerGeek

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie here

Just want to say hi. I didn't see a newbie or intro thread. Since my main interest is audio, I thought I'd post here.
I'm mainly into carputers. Obviously I'll search for related threads, but are you guys into this? You know, having a pc in your car that controls eveything: MP3's, Navi, XM, ODB, etc.
Old 12-28-2005, 08:14 AM
b00gers

Nice to have you here.

Do you own that website in your sig?
Old 12-28-2005, 08:44 AM
CarputerGeek

Yes, I do. Hope I'm not breaking the rules.
Old 01-06-2006, 08:36 AM
sammyg10

hey...

first, I'd like to welcome you to HAN...since you mentioned you are into carputers, I was wondering if you could answer some really newb questions for me...

1. according to your website, it seems like you still need to have your audio system in addition to the carputer. Is there any way, for example to integrate the two so that you can control your audio system from the carputer instead of the front deck. Idea is to have just a clean screen in the console and nothing else. The cd changer can be installed in the trunk or better yet have just the opening for the cds to slide in in the console and everything else from the carputer. what do u think?

2. My friend has an acura 2001 cl-s and is very interested in installing one of these babies...problem is ..he has no idea where to start..? honestly, would you suggest him to learn this stuff and install it himself or just buy the custom mini...? whats the cost delta hes looking at if he were to set up the duplicate system by himself?

thanks
Old 01-06-2006, 11:19 AM
CarputerGeek

Originally Posted by sammyg10
hey...

first, I'd like to welcome you to HAN...since you mentioned you are into carputers, I was wondering if you could answer some really newb questions for me...

1. according to your website, it seems like you still need to have your audio system in addition to the carputer. Is there any way, for example to integrate the two so that you can control your audio system from the carputer instead of the front deck. Idea is to have just a clean screen in the console and nothing else. The cd changer can be installed in the trunk or better yet have just the opening for the cds to slide in in the console and everything else from the carputer. what do u think?

2. My friend has an acura 2001 cl-s and is very interested in installing one of these babies...problem is ..he has no idea where to start..? honestly, would you suggest him to learn this stuff and install it himself or just buy the custom mini...? whats the cost delta hes looking at if he were to set up the duplicate system by himself?

thanks
Thanks,
If your current radio (HU) has Aux-in you can just run audio from the sound card to the radio. When you want to hear the PC you just press the "AUX" button on the radio. Then all is controlled by the PC through the touchscreen monitor. You really wouldn't even need a cd-rom for the pc. I personally transfer files (new music, etc.) from my home PC to the carputer with a WiFi connection, or I use an SD card.

The Custom Mini still reguires installation off course. It's hard to answer your question, it depends on how knowledgeable he is, and wether he'd be enthusiastic to do this kind of work. Really, the worst part about the installation is hiding all the components and wiring.

Cost delta??? Depending on how he sets it up, around $1200.00

But I did just put together a system for $850.00

Last edited by CarputerGeek; 01-13-2006 at 07:17 AM.