Notices
Audio, Security, & Automotive Lighting Troubleshoot wiring problems and get equipment suggestions all in one place. Now expanded to include Automotive Lighting

PIE HON-AUX auxiliary adapter and CD error

Old 11-06-2005, 07:27 AM
greengsrmp3

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PIE HON-AUX auxiliary adapter and CD error

I hooked up an eBay-purchased Omnifi DMP1 (<$100) to the stock Alpine stereo in my '96 Acura Integra GSR. I do not have a CD changer installed, so I was able to use the PIE HON-AUX auxiliary adapter (~$50) to connect the RCA outputs of the Omnifi to the 8-pin DIN CD Changer port. I pulled power to the unit by splicing into the stock stereo's power. So far, so good.

When I switch over to CD input of the stock stereo, I am able to hear the audio signal from the Omnifi. However, the stereo goes into a cycle of trying to control the CD changer it assumes is at the other end of the 8-pin DIN connector and errors out (it displays CD 1-1 for a few seconds followed by CDEEE). The audio drops out when it displays the error code, about once every 10-15 seconds...obviously very annoying.

I had made the assumption that the PIE adapter, besides simply connecting the audio inputs, would respond on the data/control bus of the connector so as to appease the head unit. Am I incorrect in that assumption or does it sound like I have a defective adapter? If the former, is there any other way to convince the head unit that there's a reasonable device at the other end of the connector?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

(FWIW, I do have a workaround for the time being. It turns out that the auxiliary input signal is played irrespective of the mode of the head unit. Specifically, the Omnifi's audio signal is mixed with the radio audio signal of the current station when the HU is in AM/FM mode. The same is true for Tape mode, so a blank cassette tape (or a tape adapter with the other end capped off) gives me a reasonably clean signal.)
Old 11-06-2005, 11:11 PM
jbors

Sorry I don't know why PIE aux does not work. May be it is just broken ?
Does DMP1 have USB or serial only ?
Old 11-07-2005, 06:09 AM
greengsrmp3

Actually, the RCA inputs of the PIE adapter used by the Omnifi work fine - the audio signal does get to the Alpine head unit. The issue is the control signal sent by the HU - the PIE adapter does not seem to respond on the control/data bus. As a result, the HU displays an error message and drops audio.