Notices
Audio, Security, & Automotive Lighting Troubleshoot wiring problems and get equipment suggestions all in one place. Now expanded to include Automotive Lighting

Fried radio?

Old 08-23-2005, 01:22 PM
FooD2000
Still Water

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fried radio?

97' Integra.

I was doing a project where I planned on installing a bunch of individuel led bulbs around the car, so i was going to just tap the 12 volt cig lighter's power. While working i heard the 15amp fuse break wich cuts off the cig / radio. So i went and bought a new fuse. but when i put it back in... the cig lighter works but the radio doesn't want to turn on.

so i check the fuse on the back of radio (10amps) and it was fine. i checked all other fuses and their fine.. Now i read that their are two power lines to the radio, one that is on when you turn the car on. The other is a memory power wire.

Using a voltage meter, i found the main power source that is hot when the car is turned on but i couldn't find a wire that is "memory" power. So i checked to see if i could find an in line fuse but no luck...

basically... did i fry my radio and the 10 amp fuse just didn't break? or ?

I finished the led job btw.

thanks.
Old 08-23-2005, 03:50 PM
delsol161

well, i doubt that it fried the stereo if the fuse did not break. that fuse is there because it's the highest amt. of amperage the stereo can handle before doing damge... thus the blow out over 10. did you check your grounds? tapping that power wire was a bad idea to begin w/. you would have been better off running in a fresh power wire. take the radio to a local shop, and see what they think. they can tell you everything you'll need to know...
Old 08-23-2005, 05:41 PM
Chizzy

there are two fuses built in to my 94 integra for the radio, there is one in the fusebox inside the hood and there is one in the fusebox under the drivers left knee. check all the fuses in both places and maybe you'll get lucky
Old 08-23-2005, 08:28 PM
FooD2000
Still Water

yep i totally forgot to check the fuse under the hood. It was it, 10 amp fuse. I feel dumb but thanks. everything works now.
Old 08-24-2005, 05:11 PM
delsol161

hehe, well that's good. good luck