Notices
Audio, Security, & Automotive Lighting Troubleshoot wiring problems and get equipment suggestions all in one place. Now expanded to include Automotive Lighting

?'s about Alpine Tech Tip... wiring a diode and relay to the remote turn-on lead.

Old 08-15-2005, 08:07 AM
99IntegraGS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ?'s about Alpine Tech Tip... wiring a diode and relay to the remote turn-on lead.

I have a question about something found in this Tech Tip from Alpine. This may sound stupid, but I've never done this before.

http://www.alpine-usa.com/images/sup...tip_091802.pdf

In the PDF linked above, they suggest running the remote turn-on wire through a relay and a 2A diode. In the diagram it shows the 2A diode across terminals 86 and 85 of the relay.

I'm not real sure about how to do this... the relay they suggest is designed for automotive use, so the circuitry is sealed... like so...

I found that relay on the partsexpress.com website and also found this...

The name of the above part is... 12VDC 5-PIN RELAY SOCKET w/DIODE. My question is this... with diode, where? Do they mean that looped wire can be used for attaching a diode across terminals 86 and 85? The part description reads as follows:

Pre-wired relay socket with diode across the coil. Designed for use with starter kill circuits. Three 12" leads. For use with 5-pin Bosch type relay.

Can anyone help? Is this how you attach a diode in the manner described in the Alpine Tech Tip or do you need to crack open the sealed relay and solder the diode inside?

Thanks in advance...

JD
Old 08-15-2005, 09:02 AM
b00gers

I am not too familiar with relays, but how many units are you turning on with that remote turn on wire?
Old 08-15-2005, 09:17 AM
99IntegraGS

WiLL... the use of this relay is not really about how many, but about some problem with the Alpine Fantom Face units (CDA-7998 and CDA-7897). For some reason, when used with non-Alpine amps, occasionally the face doesn't want to close. But, back to your question, I have been a bit worried turning on 2 amps (JL Audio 450/4 and 500/1) and an AudioControl DXS crossover.
Old 08-15-2005, 09:28 AM
b00gers

Ah ok. Usually a remote wire will be fine turning on two units.

Good luck.
Old 08-15-2005, 11:56 AM
Chizzy

Sorry this is a bit off topic but a quick noob question. When running my remote turn on to my 1 amp do I have to add a 0.5 amp fuse? I think I read this somewhere. And how do I do this. I've never installed a MAXI fuse or fuses like that.
Old 08-15-2005, 04:01 PM
jacktdurden

No, you don't need a fuse on the remote wire, it doesn't run enough current to blow it, the remote output itself would probably blow first should it short, etc.
Old 08-18-2005, 01:19 AM
orbit77

i would use the bosch 30amp relay. from how the diagrams is, this is how you use an relay to power multipal amps. but i'm guessing with that head unit the remote wire isnt' strong enough to turn on some amps so what your doing is using your remote wire to activate your relay to turn on your amp.