Notices
Audio, Security, & Automotive Lighting Troubleshoot wiring problems and get equipment suggestions all in one place. Now expanded to include Automotive Lighting

Wanna run XM radio, got a ?

Old 08-11-2005, 05:27 PM
sleepin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wanna run XM radio, got a ?

Can I mount the antennae for the system INSIDE the car? I wanna keep my XM on the DL, and having the XM ant on the outside of the car is a dead give away.

If not inside, is there anywhere else I can hide it?

Thanks.
Old 08-11-2005, 05:38 PM
exbrick
I'd rather be driving.

Mounting the XM antenna inside the car will not work. Not only will parts of the vehicle block the signal, but the automotive XM antennas actually use the roof of the car to receive the signal. They need to be mounted on a big piece of metal to work properly. I've had XM in my car for well over a year and I've never had any problems. And I don't exactly live in the best area. (Think loads of vandalism, including my girlfriend's tires slashed two weeks ago.) Best bet is to mount it on the roof as per the instructions and just take the receiver with you when you leave the car. If they see nothing but an empty cradle they're not going to be nearly as likely to smash the window.
Old 08-12-2005, 12:50 PM
chimchim
WRX cuz Honda won't wagon

I don't think this is totally true.

There have been several instance of people mounting the satellite antenna pickup on the dash or on the rear deck such that it has window view to the sky. It's not as reliable as a roof mount, but it works.

In fact, I read about some dude whole actually mounted his XM antenna UNDER his rear deck so you couldn't see it at all. It still worked because he mounted it under the deck in a place where no metal was above the antenna (only plastic, foam, and glass). He said this worked just fine.