Notices
Audio, Security, & Automotive Lighting Troubleshoot wiring problems and get equipment suggestions all in one place. Now expanded to include Automotive Lighting

electrical issues

Old 07-15-2005, 09:06 AM
hoperegrine

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default electrical issues

i have a really bizarre problem in my 88 crx si, everyone ive asked about it is stumped... first of all, the clock doesnt hold the time, which leads me to belive its something to do with the constant power... another issue, the stereo works *sometimes* when the car is in the switched position, but almost always works when the car is actually on... also, sometimes it turns on when the car is just switched on, but wont play... another issue, if i turn on the dome light, or use the cigarette lighter, or open the hatch the clock, and the radio completely lose power, and as soon as you stop using the lighter/dome/close the hatch they instantly power back up, also... the stereo resets everytime, so it always starts from the first song on whatever...very annoying... i cant afford to have an electrician look at right now, so if anyone has any ideas, let me know, thanks
Old 07-16-2005, 12:52 AM
shitbrick2
Banned

is every thing running on the same fuse are they made like that or what?
Old 07-16-2005, 10:47 AM
hoperegrine

im pretty sure the stereo and clock are on the same fuse, not sure about the dome light, but im sure that the hatch open light or whatever is not on the same fuse...
Old 07-16-2005, 01:54 PM
shitbrick2
Banned

you should check to make sure your fuses are good, pushed in all the way, and check your ground wires for the stereo and everything you are having problems with.

this sound like a strange problem, but all electrical problems can be fixed.

is there any aftermarket electronic products hooked to the car?
Old 07-19-2005, 09:00 PM
hoperegrine

Default yeah

the stereo is aftermarket, btw, i found out a lot of the fuses were blown (the car is pretty old) now the sunroof works, the dome light works, and the clock now holds the time. the only problem now is the stereo, which still resets everytime... i checked the fuse, its the right rating 10a, and it is not blown... i suppose the obvious next step would be to check the wiring to the stereo, but im doubting that there is a problem it was installed by a professional, are there any other steps i can take before having to take it in again and have it looked at?
Old 07-19-2005, 09:11 PM
b00gers

Are the red and yellow wires to the headunit wired correctly?
Old 07-19-2005, 09:45 PM
Ludemandan
Prelude tracktion

If a lot of fuses were blown you might want to check them again in a while and see if they start blowing again, because that would indicate a problem. Fuses don't just blow with time.
I wouldn't be surprised if the professional install has something to do with it.

Dan