Notices
Audio, Security, & Automotive Lighting Troubleshoot wiring problems and get equipment suggestions all in one place. Now expanded to include Automotive Lighting

new speakers in 98 accord coupe

Old 07-12-2005, 05:17 PM
damnhammer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new speakers in 98 accord coupe

OK. So, I'd like to replace the speakers in my accord. I do not want to replace the factory head unit for many reasons, so my options are limited to working with it.

Do the stock component speakers have the crossovers "built in" to them? Or is there an external crossover somewhere like what you find when you buy a set of aftermarket component speakers? I'd like to use components but dont know how much wiring i want to do. Will the factory deck adequately power a set of, say, Infinity 6 1/2" components?

If there is a factory external crossover, great, I can just swap the old for the new and use the existing speaker wires. If not...

i may decide to go with 2ways in the door. Should I disconnect the dash tweeters to eliminate too much treble up front?

Thanks for your input.
Old 07-12-2005, 05:29 PM
vikool
98 Accord Coupe 5spd!

Stock tweeters have built in capacitors, not exactly a crossover, but more of a bass-blocker.

Your (any) head Unit is not going to be able to power components properly. It might work, but you run the risk of blowing your components. You will need an external amp that matches the rms of the speakers.

I disconnected my dash tweeters, for my coaxials, but others have said it really does not make a difference since they cant hear it anyways.

What year is your car. The windshield position is a bad place for tweeters and i would recommend you flush mount it in your door.
Old 07-14-2005, 04:15 PM
damnhammer

my car is a 98 2 door (its in the original title).

I figured my stock HU would be ok as long as i didnt start to run into distortion/clipping. As it stands now, I rarely have much past half on the volume, so I dont think i'm running the amp too hard. And if the stock speakers and new ones are both 4 ohm, im not running the amp harder.
Old 07-28-2005, 11:50 AM
lk21joker
AnotherAccordOwner

If you want it cheap and want quality sound, buy infinity