Notices
Audio, Security, & Automotive Lighting Troubleshoot wiring problems and get equipment suggestions all in one place. Now expanded to include Automotive Lighting

just got alarm installed...now having problem with brakes

Old 07-02-2005, 09:51 PM
asnlc76

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default just got alarm installed...now having problem with brakes

went to fry's today to get my python alarm/keyless entry installed. took them forever to finish it; about 5 or 6 hours. anyway, when i was getting ready to leave fry's in my newly security equipped car, i found that the brake would barely move down when i stepped on it (this was before i started the car since i drive stick). i was like, what the heck, maybe something was stuck underneath it...but nope...nothing was there. then after some poking around...we started the car....the brake was still stiff/not moving down much. it prolly went down a little less than an inch. the car guy and a brake guy who happened to be there checked the brake fluid, it was a little low, but my brakes were perfectly fine before i got the alarm installed. he checked for any wires or tools that might have gotten stocked somewhere, but nope. i took it for a test drive around the parking lot, it seemed ok. but as soon as i parked and turned the car off, the brake was stiff again...and at this point, would barely go down at all. i know that the brake could be applied if the car was off, i always step on the clutch AND brake before i start the car...now, the brake would barely go down half an inch.

does anyone know what's wrong? did fry's screw something up? on top of that, the LED light they installed NEVER turns off. isn't it standard for the LEDs to turn off once the alarm is deactivated? the stupid guy at fry's told me that's the way it was. i'm 95% sure it isn't.

TIA for the help.
Old 07-02-2005, 10:28 PM
b00gers

You need to go back to Frys and talk to a manager about this. And the LED is not always suppose to be on.

Good luck with it.
Old 07-14-2005, 09:11 PM
a2k

if it just gets harder when the engine is off, it could be a leaking vacuum resivior for your brake booster, it just doesnt hold it long enough...coincidence maby...just an idea, good luck man
Old 07-15-2005, 04:47 AM
flyromeo3

Originally Posted by a2k
if it just gets harder when the engine is off, it could be a leaking vacuum resivior for your brake booster, it just doesnt hold it long enough...coincidence maby...just an idea, good luck man

could it be that they might of drilled a hole into the brake resiviour?
a hole needs to be made in the firewall to pass some wires through.
Check if your leaking brake fluid
Old 07-15-2005, 03:12 PM
exbrick
I'd rather be driving.

This doesn't sound abnormal to me. When you shut down a car the brakes are no longer boosted by engine vacuum, and the pedal gets extremely hard when you pump it. This is because the only thing applying force to the pads is your foot. How long have you had the car? I think it's likely that you just hadn't noticed before. The important thing is that it feels and acts normal when you are driving.