Notices
Audio, Security, & Automotive Lighting Troubleshoot wiring problems and get equipment suggestions all in one place. Now expanded to include Automotive Lighting

Headunit craps out at medium volume

Old 06-18-2005, 08:12 PM
Special K

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headunit craps out at medium volume

Hey Folks, I'm going F**king nuts. I've got a Sony Xplod CDX-CA810X head unit powering Infinity 6" (90w rms, 180 max) and 6x9s (120w rms and 220 max) I'm estimating on the wattage, it may be slightly more or less, but not much.

Anyways, the HU is 52w x4 at max, I'm also powering an infinity kappa perfect 12.1 (SVC) through an infinity Beta Digital 300, but from what I've tested the sub doesn't cause any of the problems.

OK, so when I get to about 1/4 of the volume, the headunit loses power, fuses aren't blowing or anything, just the backlight begins to flutter then if it goes any louder it powers off for a second, and switches back on. If the vol. remains at that level, it just keeps repeating the process. If I turn on the LPF and HPF, I can turn it up a little louder which makes me think that it's related to the speakers and the amount of power they're drawing, power that the HU can't supply. Just when I first installed everything, I never had this problem. Anyways, if anyone has any ideas, it would be much appreciated, as this problem is REALLY pissing me off.

Oh yeah, when I alter the balance to Full Left or Right, I can crank it without any problems well beyond what could be expected. Once the balance is equal, the HU has problems.