Notices
Audio, Security, & Automotive Lighting Troubleshoot wiring problems and get equipment suggestions all in one place. Now expanded to include Automotive Lighting

Cant get through firewall with power wire!

Old 06-16-2005, 06:19 AM
kev24_uk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cant get through firewall with power wire!

Hi,

I recently bought a 1996 Honda Civic 1.5i LS 3dr (vtec) and I am trying to fit an amplifier. I have routed the rca cables and remote turn on wire to the boot but am having trouble finding a way to get the power cable through the firewall! I found a large rubber plug blocking a hole to the bottom left of the battery but behind it appears to be a lot of white cotton wool type material and solid metal behind that!! Anyone done an install on one of these cars and know where to put the wire through?
Any photos would be a great help.

Thanks in advance,
Kev.
Old 06-16-2005, 07:13 AM
bluetwo
Relevance is irrelevant

You might be able to get it through the fresh air vent. The place where air is drawn in by the AC/Heater fan. There is a filter screen which you would have to push the wire through but a small hole in there shouldn't be a problem. At least it never has been for me. You just have to put the wire through in such a way that it doesn't block the systems ability to select between fresh and recycled air.

Just a suggestion. Attempt at your own risk.
Old 06-16-2005, 07:17 AM
IluvJae
Grifball Player

That rubber hose is what u go through....What we did was stuck a long tie wrap at the end of the cable and stuck it through that hole....you'll see it a lil through the other side and u just pull...and you're good to go...Thats the hold i used when i wired my amp
Old 06-16-2005, 08:27 AM
Tankard

If i'm not mistaken, i think i went through the same hole my clutch cable goes in, but not sure. I'd have to go look. Just went to look. Actually, i ran mine through the hole right up under where the clutch cable goes through. You'll need a razor to poke a hole in the rubber thing to push it through.
Old 06-16-2005, 09:44 AM
99IntegraGS

Originally Posted by kev24_uk
I recently bought a 1996 Honda Civic 1.5i LS 3dr (vtec) and I am trying to fit an amplifier. I have routed the rca cables and remote turn on wire to the boot but am having trouble finding a way to get the power cable through the firewall! I found a large rubber plug blocking a hole to the bottom left of the battery but behind it appears to be a lot of white cotton wool type material and solid metal behind that!! Anyone done an install on one of these cars and know where to put the wire through?
Any photos would be a great help.
Use the hole you found behind the rubber plug you can use the rubber plug as a grommet, just poke a hole through it. The material you found behind the rubber plug is insulation/sound deadening material. Behind that may even be some heavy cardboard type material... just poke a wire coat hanger through it.

The only pic I have is of the rubber plug, you already know where that is.

Good luck,

JD
Old 06-16-2005, 11:26 AM
kev24_uk

Thanks guys. I'll keep poking at that hole!! Hopefully something will go through!! All the posts i've read say to use it so it must go through somehow! If you used that hole, did you do it without taking the battery out? Also should I be looking to be pushing straight through or at an angle? (which way if it is at an angle!)
Old 06-16-2005, 02:24 PM
99IntegraGS

Kev,

Yes, I've used that spot on 3 different Hondas I've owned... an '87 Accord, a '97 Civic, and my '99 Integra. I have never found it necessary to remove the battery. When pushing through there, I'm pretty sure I did it with a screwdriver, then fed a wire coat hanger through the hole I made. I had to angle down toward the floor a bit.

Once I could see the coat hanger from the inside of the car, I then made a little hook on the end of the coat hanger, ran the wire through the hook and taped it to the hanger. You can then pull the hanger on through the hole and the wire should follow it through. If you meet any resistance, be gentle... you don't want to yank the wire off the hanger until it's through.

JD
Old 06-16-2005, 02:49 PM
VPUPPY

Originally Posted by kev24_uk
Thanks guys. I'll keep poking at that hole!! Hopefully something will go through!! All the posts i've read say to use it so it must go through somehow! If you used that hole, did you do it without taking the battery out? Also should I be looking to be pushing straight through or at an angle? (which way if it is at an angle!)
try pulling back the carpet and removing some of the sound deadening material.
Old 06-16-2005, 03:34 PM
kev24_uk

Thanks!! I'll try it in the morning and let you know how i get on!! Really appreciate the help I wanted to do it all myself rather than pay someone else, takes the fun out of it!
Old 06-16-2005, 08:06 PM
Sham

on my 94 accord, I poked a hole through the rubber gromet over the brake pedal. Pretty easy. On a friends Integra, they used the gromet behind the glovebox, but I've searched and searched on my accord, and find the driver side one easier.