Notices
Audio, Security, & Automotive Lighting Troubleshoot wiring problems and get equipment suggestions all in one place. Now expanded to include Automotive Lighting

no sound from front speakers

Old 06-07-2005, 04:00 PM
dave97LX
is a guitar hero

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default no sound from front speakers

OK here's the deal:

I had my car broken into two weeks ago and thieves ripped out the head unit. Today I just installed my new head unit and I don't have any sound coming from the front speakers. I checked out my RCA patch cable for the front preamp outputs and it looked like the wires had been ripped loose from the plugs, so that looked like the reason they didn't work.

Soo... I just bought brand new RCAs (for both front and rear) and wired up my car from the head unit to my amp, and I still only get sound from the rears. Everything worked perfectly before my car got broken into and my speakers are wired directly from amp to speaker, so what could be the problem here?
Old 06-07-2005, 06:06 PM
TTT

First thing to check is make sure you're just not being dumb and have the fader on the head unit set all the way to the rear. If that is fine, on to some trouble shooting. First, set the front RCA output to the rear amplifier and see if there is sound. If there is, you know its something wrong from the amplifier to the speakers. If nothing is wrong there, try hooking up your head unit speaker outputs to the front speakers. If they work, then you know your speaker wires are fine.

Did you change anything in your system at all, other than the head unit?
Old 06-07-2005, 07:01 PM
dave97LX
is a guitar hero

Insurance company paid for a new sony (sigh) headunit so I got it from circuit city today, but the caveat was that they had to install it themselves as part of my insurance's replacement deal (I wish they would've just given me the deck and let me install it myself but oh well).

It's too dark now but tomorrow I will plug the rear channel RCAs into the front preamp out jack on the head unit. My suspicion is that the front preamp outputs on the headunit might be defective, but I'll know for sure after troubleshooting. Nothing else about my system really changed though...the only wiring that could've been affected would be the RCAs since they were ripped out, and I replaced those. The speaker wire goes from the amp to the doors so that wasn't touched.

The only other thing would be that maybe the right speaker was damaged by the broken window glass but that wouldn't explain why neither speaker works, right?

Tried out the fader too, don't worry
Old 06-08-2005, 08:41 PM
dave97LX
is a guitar hero

OK good, it wasn't something stupid I overlooked or anything. Turns out the guy at the honda dealer who replaced my window unscrewed the speaker and didn't screw it back in, just kinda set it in the basket no screws included. When I took off the door panel, it dropped out and landed on the pavement (ouch!) and was hanging on by the positive wire. that was the problem, thankfully it still works. I'm just glad this whole ordeal is done with, it works and that I didn't have to call that service guy and explain why my speaker was broken...