Notices
Audio, Security, & Automotive Lighting Troubleshoot wiring problems and get equipment suggestions all in one place. Now expanded to include Automotive Lighting

05HondaAccordLX

Old 05-14-2005, 08:15 PM
05HondaAccordLX
New Owner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 05HondaAccordLX

Hi, guys. My new '04 Kicker KX600.1 amp is smelling bad sometimes. I just put it in a few days ago. I have 2 12" Kicker Comp VR's 2ohm DVC. The speakers are in series making them 4ohms each and then they are in parallel to make a 2ohm load to the amp. The amp gives out 600W RMS. I had the gain half ways up, the bass boast all the way up and the bass controller half ways up. The crossover is at 50HZ. I am using the 4 high level inputs the I am getting from the back two speakers. Here is a picture of the amp.
Kicker KX600.1 Picture

Ok, here is the problem. When the bass is turned up, after a while the amp will smell like something is burning. Could this be just heat coming out because of the amp having a fan. My brother said that he saw smoke come out once also. That is wierd because the amp is still working and hitting hard, but I don't turn it up or on anymore. When I turned up the gains up higher then half before the amp goes into safe mode sometimes, but I think this is normal.

Also the fan shuts off when bass is hitting and turns back on when no bass is hitting. And last when I turn the power off for the stereo the subs go wild and start making a rumbling noise that keeps on going until I either turn off the car or put the stereo back on.

Any help would be appeciated. Please help as much as possible.
Old 05-14-2005, 09:14 PM
TTT

Sounds like a serious grounding problem. Check your amp ground and head unit ground, and make sure both are very tight and touching bare metal, no paint. Also, what size power and ground wires are you using?
Old 05-15-2005, 01:28 AM
05HondaAccordLX
New Owner

I am using 4awg for power and I think 16awg for ground. They both came with the amp kit.
Old 05-15-2005, 09:24 AM
TTT

Ok, your ground wire is wayyyy too small. You should use the same size ground wire as you use power wire. Replace that ground wire with some 4 gauge.