Notices
Audio, Security, & Automotive Lighting Troubleshoot wiring problems and get equipment suggestions all in one place. Now expanded to include Automotive Lighting

Subwoofer question

Old 05-05-2005, 06:24 PM
WiLLGT09

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Subwoofer question

Hello everyone,

I am interested in added an new in-dash unit (Aiwa, b/c they hve the front aux input to use my iPod) as well as possibly adding a subwoofer(s) to my '95 Acura Integra coupe. I have 4 6.5 inch Panasonics installed already, but there is an annoying buzz they make that I need to fix (but that's another story) but I was wondering whether or not to get one or two subs? I hate the ultra-low continual rumble that everyone I know seems to have. I'd rather had clean "nice" bass, so I'm not looking at anything big. So should I choose one 8", two 8", or one 10" all would be in a sealed enclosure? Right now I'm kinda partial to the 8" inch subs because of their small size, since I have a small car. Plus, the more subwoofer I can get for my money would be great.

Thanks,
William
Old 05-05-2005, 06:34 PM
WiLLGT09

Oh, i just rememered something: what is anyone's thoughts on Bazooka Tubes? They are more expensive than individual subs & enclosures, but they are small and suppossedly produce good base response.

William
Old 05-07-2005, 05:10 PM
Bmpn
Audiophile

i'd go with at least one 10 or two 8's... my room mate had an HX2 8 in a ported box in his WRX and amazingly enough, it got as loud as an old set of Lightning Audio 12's in a sealed box. I'd settle for nothing less than a single 12 to be honest. You can always dumb down your amp or head unit settings to match the level with your ears' preference.

Any spending preference? I can get Orion stuff at good prices and will swear by their good sound reproduction and quality of build
Old 05-07-2005, 07:29 PM
WiLLGT09

Hey thanks for the info. Well, my dad just bought an S2000 today, so I am probably not gonna keep my Integra long. It will go to my younger brother who will start driving next year, and I will get our CRV which has just been kicked out the garage to make room. So my focus has just switched to tinkering with the CRV stereo. Since, the integra and the CRV have the same size speakers, I plan on swapping the Pioneers I put in the acura and put them into the CRV and possibly add a pair of tweeters and later an sub of some kind (currently I like the idea of a Bazooka tube for the CRV). What are your thoughts on those?

Thanks,
William
Old 05-08-2005, 11:45 PM
Bmpn
Audiophile

I personally would never put anything Bazooka in my car, but that is because I've progressed from low end stuff to way too expensive stuff LOL. I regretfully say that every item in my car audio arsenal either matches what I paid for my ENTIRE CAR or is damn close to it. Well retail at least not that I paid retail for any of it.

anywho, to reiterate, I wouldnt purchase Bazooka, but if you want to just b/c you like the tube idea then go for it and write a review later
Old 05-09-2005, 03:16 PM
WiLLGT09

what about those flat subs from like Kenwood, that can fit inside a spare tire, or in my case, a empty storage space in the CRV trunk?

Peace,
William
Old 05-09-2005, 06:53 PM
96gsintegra

i gather your going for sq and not sp. if thats the case me and you have very similar thinking. my setup is one 15" mtx thunder8000 and a 300 watt amp.it isnt too lud but adds a whole nother dimension to the sound
Old 05-09-2005, 07:32 PM
WiLLGT09

Originally Posted by 96gsintegra
i gather your going for sq and not sp.
What does that mean? just curious?
How much you subwoofer setup cost?

Peace,
William
Old 05-09-2005, 08:33 PM
SkyLord

sp= sound pressure, like high db
sq= sound quality
i have a single 10" jbl in a ported box for now and it is very nice. a good mix b/w sq and spl.
Old 05-09-2005, 08:39 PM
b00gers

I am not a fan of the tubes. I would much rather spend a few more dollars and use a nicer sub in a real enclosure. Check my sig for an 12" IDQ in a ported box. That thing pounds really nice when you want it to. :happysad:

In a hatchback like your Integra coupe, a single 12" is perfect. Even a single 10" can be great. If you are leaning towards 8" I would get a pair. But with the size of that box and the cost of the woofers, you would be better off getting a 12" or 10".