Notices
Audio, Security, & Automotive Lighting Troubleshoot wiring problems and get equipment suggestions all in one place. Now expanded to include Automotive Lighting

Subwoofer Feedback Help

Old 04-24-2005, 09:35 AM
cyclops755

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Subwoofer Feedback Help

Hey guys,
I have a '99 Prelude SH, and I'm running 2 10" Rockford HE2's with 2 Rockford 451s Amps, and right now I have all stock speakers and headunit, and I'm taking my amp input from the rear deck speaker leads via a line-level converter. The problem is, whenever I turn on the subs, the still get the signal and everything from the radio, but they give me this loud hum, and it doesn't matter what volume the radio's at, or how the balance/fade is configured. To make matters even weirder, if I open the trunk with the subs on, the humming stops... Now, the Prelude has the accustic feedback system, so I don't know if that has anything to do with it, but help me out here!
Old 04-24-2005, 10:29 AM
b00gers

Since I had no idea what the Acoustic FeedBack System is I just did a little search on google. I am still not too familiar, but found this interesting read. You are probably more knowledgeable and might find something in here... http://personal.bellsouth.net/v/i/vi...ludeaudio.html

Since you say that the humming stops when you open the trunk lid, something with the placement of the hardware popped into my head. Do you have a wire pinched? Is your ground for the amp very soild?

If that doesnt solve anything, maybe you can see if you can bypass that AFBS and the amp for the rear speakers. I would just do a whole bunch of trial and error stuff. Keep us updated.
Old 05-05-2005, 04:58 AM
cyclops755

WiLL, thanks a LOT for that link. It very quickly solved my problem in one sentence, lol.
"Since the original writing of this section, someone has confirmed that they get odd and horrible feedback from tapping at the speakers and not before the AFBS, so definitely keep that in mind."
That's what I needed to know! Great site though, and a MUST READ for anyone planning of modifying their 5th gen's audio system. Guy really knows what he's talking about.
-Chris