Notices
Audio, Security, & Automotive Lighting Troubleshoot wiring problems and get equipment suggestions all in one place. Now expanded to include Automotive Lighting

How About a '97 CL Bose Replacement?

Old 04-14-2005, 12:24 PM
ExPorscheGuy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How About a '97 CL Bose Replacement?

How About a '97 CL Bose Replacement?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I got this nice used car used back in January, but my single disc Bose changer / stereo tuner just died last week..at the car wash!

The fuse seems okay, but I have no CD / radio power other than the blinking theft deterrent light. This is not a security code issue...

If the tuner is shot, what is a suitable replacement unit? I believe there are 6 speakers, but is there a separate rear Bose amp in this car? Any hints on these models?

Thanks...
Old 04-15-2005, 05:39 AM
e3NiNe
#CustomUserTitle

Well, when you go aftermarket, the amp is built into the deck. The Bose amp in the rear will no longer function.

Also, with your 6 speakers, I'm guessing you have 2 in the dash, 2 in the front doors, and 2 on a rear deck lid. The 2 in the dash are spliced into the front speaker's signal. When you play with your sound fader and throw all the music to the front speakers, you barely hear anything out of the 2 dashboard units. So, you do have 6 speakers, but 4 that really count.

With the speakers you have now, most mid level Pioneer and Alpine radios will surpass their capabilities. Depending on features you were looking for and price range, I could help you find something that fits your needs.
Old 04-17-2005, 12:07 AM
ihookitup4u

the on off button on those r junk play with the button and when u get it to turn on do not turn it back off just up and down . You should just look around there should be 1 of those decks somewhere any audiofile would love to sell theres to upgrade to a better 1 . not be be a smart a__ but in some cases poeple dont want to go through the trouble to rewire and fabficate stuff to do the job ahead of you otherwise.

Have fun .
Old 04-21-2005, 07:49 PM
ExPorscheGuy

Default Bose is shot

no doubt. can a decent replacement audio system be had for less than $500?
Old 04-22-2005, 06:39 AM
e3NiNe
#CustomUserTitle

Originally Posted by ExPorscheGuy
no doubt. can a decent replacement audio system be had for less than $500?
You can get a top of the line radio from all manufacturers for under $500. When you start looking at LCD w/ DVD playback, then those are about $1,200+.

Here's my suggestions for a high end radio replacement.

Alpine CDA-9855

I just installed this radio 2 weeks ago and here's what I think:

+ massive amount of sound control
+ mp3 and wma playback
+ high res display (3 font styles, 3 complex moving graphic displays, 3 basic moving graphic displays)
+ 512 button colors (all adjustable with a R G B values)
+ unsurpassed sound quality
+ upgrade operating system and bios via cd-r
+ inexpensive accessories (RCA adapter $15, iPod controller $100)
+ versitile plug and play Ai-Net add-on system.
+ innovative GlideTouch slider

- very complicated button interface.
- not user friendly, high operating learning curve. I don't even know how to turn up the bass yet.
- took 5 days to get used to the slider.

Pioneer DEH-P80MP

+ ease of use with friendly interface
+ terrific display
+ best bang for the buck
+ high sound output
+ mp3 and wma playback

- expensive accessories. (iPod controller $130, RCA adapter with thoughput $80)
- questionable build quality and reliability

Last edited by e3NiNe; 04-22-2005 at 06:43 AM.
Old 04-25-2005, 09:40 AM
ExPorscheGuy

wow the alpine looks fine! I must assume the existing 4 (+2) Bose speakers become obsolete, and require replacement as well ?

I can not locate a remote amplifier in the trunk, and can see a single 20 amp fuse for the whole Bose setup. I am tempted to drive to the dealership. and get an opinion.

Regards
RAF
Old 04-25-2005, 09:44 AM
e3NiNe
#CustomUserTitle

I can not locate a remote amplifier in the trunk, and can see a single 20 amp fuse for the whole Bose setup.
hmmm ... did you check under the front seats? I'm not sure if they'd be there or not.
Old 04-29-2005, 08:32 PM
ExPorscheGuy

This "premium" coupe only came with one power seat, leaving a bit of room under the passenger seat for what appears to be a power module of some sort... a black box with cables. But it doesn't look like audio if you know what I mean. ) The cables appear to go into the seat, perhaps for the heater?)

There are 6x9 speakers (low impedance?) in the rear deck, but no sign of an amp... next stop is the dealership for some Q&A!

And thanks to all for the "acurate acura advice".
Old 05-30-2005, 06:01 PM
clboy

This "premium" coupe only came with one power seat, leaving a bit of room under the passenger seat for what appears to be a power module of some sort... a black box with cables. But it doesn't look like audio if you know what I mean. ) The cables appear to go into the seat, perhaps for the heater?)

There are 6x9 speakers (low impedance?) in the rear deck, but no sign of an amp... next stop is the dealership for some Q&A!

And thanks to all for the "acurate acura advice".

The black box is the factory door alarm thingee, and the Bose amp is located in the right rear corner of your trunk located near the tire jack.

Hope this helps