Notices
Audio, Security, & Automotive Lighting Troubleshoot wiring problems and get equipment suggestions all in one place. Now expanded to include Automotive Lighting

Installing Amp and Sub w/ Factory 2002 Ody. Radio

Old 04-13-2005, 02:00 AM
sfetaz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Installing Amp and Sub w/ Factory 2002 Ody. Radio

I have a 2002 Honda Odyssey EX with factory CD Player. I want to continue using that radio and install an amp for the 4 speakers, new speakers, my sub enclosure and an amp for the sub.

I know how to install speakers, 6.5 inches. I have the subs all set. My questions is about hooking up the amps.

1. What 4 channel amps can I use with the factory radio?
2. How would I hook it up properly?
3. Where can the 4 channel amp be located in the vehicle?
3. How would the subwoofer amp receive the audio signal?
4. Would there be any risks to using 2 Amps?
5. Is there a way I can hook up everything to be 2 Ohms?

Thanks for any help.
Old 04-13-2005, 12:02 PM
JivenJim

If your factory Radio has pre-outs then you can connect to any using RCA plugs. If your factory radio only has speaker out wires then you need an amp with High in's. (speaker wire)
Best Amp local is close to receiver for performance but under the seat for security.
Sub amp would could use the Pre out's from amp or other way depending on location. You could get a RCA Splitter from Radio Shack for a couple buck if you don't have the RCA outs.
2 ohms is twice as loud on half the volume. Most speakers are 4 ohm factory. better stick to 4 Ohm.
If you have all 2 ohm speakers you could do it that way and if amp is 2 ohm stable. 4 should work great for most applications.
Amp will need 18 Gauge or better. Ground Radio and amp to chasis same place. Seat belt bolts are great. Keep that ground cable 18 Gauge or smaller and less than 2 ft for best results.
Remove battery cable before doing any work. and good luck.
Old 04-13-2005, 12:52 PM
e3NiNe
#CustomUserTitle

1. What 4 channel amps can I use with the factory radio?
anybrand, any model

2. How would I hook it up properly?
your stock headunit doesn't have RCA outs, so you'll need to get an "inline" RCA converter. you attach this to your wire harness and it'll give you RCA's.

3. Where can the 4 channel amp be located in the vehicle?
I suggest under the passenger seat. That's a chair that's never removed and should have enough room to still be completely functional.

3. How would the subwoofer amp receive the audio signal?
The amp's remote in will be fulfilled by the "power antenna" wire from the headunit.

4. Would there be any risks to using 2 Amps?
Your battery and alternator weren't designed to distribute the needed power. You'll have to upgrade before going over 500W total.

I honestly think you should just upgrade the HU. It makes a 1000% difference when reaching for quality. Also, you won't have to hack and guess about what wires to tap and use when connecting the amp. The stock headunit harness is completely grey, it's difficult to tell any wires from another.