Notices
Audio, Security, & Automotive Lighting Troubleshoot wiring problems and get equipment suggestions all in one place. Now expanded to include Automotive Lighting

Grounding issue?

Old 03-17-2005, 10:48 PM
b00gers

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Grounding issue?

I havent really gotten a chance to try and fix this problem yet. So I thought some of you guys in here can point me in the right direction.

I have an old Rockford 4 channel amp that is powering my front stage and my subwoofer. I've been taking the sub in and out because I go mt biking sometimes and need the space. Recently I just put the sub back in and I noticed that the bass is acting funny. When I turn down the volume on the deck all the way to ZERO, I can still hear my subwoofer rumble. It is not playing a specific song, but it just kinda rumbles lightly.

From what I quickly saw, the ground on the amp is fine. And something to add, my deck is pretty old and is looking at its last days. Some of the buttons stop working at times. So I am thinking this could be a problem with the HU.

I do not have access to a spare amp, nor a spare HU.

Thanks.
Old 03-18-2005, 07:31 AM
Special K

You might want to check your amp RCA inputs (or speaker wire inputs). I had the same problem and found the rumbling occurred when the input wiring was too close to the power wiring.

Hope this helps.
Old 03-18-2005, 08:14 AM
Illegal B16
New Zealand

make sure your speaker wires arent backwards.
Old 03-18-2005, 08:26 AM
b00gers

Originally Posted by Special K
You might want to check your amp RCA inputs (or speaker wire inputs). I had the same problem and found the rumbling occurred when the input wiring was too close to the power wiring.

Hope this helps.
You mean dont lay the speaker wires too close to the RCA wires? I'll try that.

Originally Posted by Illegal B16
make sure your speaker wires arent backwards.

Yea, they are pretty much idiot proof because they are color coded.

Thanks.
Old 03-22-2005, 02:29 PM
r2k2d2

well you can always check the ground as well. a good solid ground is always ideal for any system hook-up. you need to ground your amp with a non-painted bolt to a non painted part of the body. if something is painted, take some sand paper and clean it up before you ground to that area.
Old 03-24-2005, 01:26 PM
KuttinEdge

WiLL
I have seen some of your posts before and know that you are somewhat proficient in the car audio world. It sounds to me that there is a grounding issue but it is most likely is in your headunit. As much of a pain in the ass it may be, pull out your headunit and check the wiring behind. While you have your headunit out and plugged in, turn the volume all the way down and give the wires a gentle shake. If you here more of the rumbling in the speakers, shake individual wires (e.g. ground or RCA) and look for the noise again.
Old 03-24-2005, 07:06 PM
b00gers

Originally Posted by KuttinEdge
WiLL
I have seen some of your posts before and know that you are somewhat proficient in the car audio world. It sounds to me that there is a grounding issue but it is most likely is in your headunit. As much of a pain in the ass it may be, pull out your headunit and check the wiring behind. While you have your headunit out and plugged in, turn the volume all the way down and give the wires a gentle shake. If you here more of the rumbling in the speakers, shake individual wires (e.g. ground or RCA) and look for the noise again.

Hm. The thing is it is very random that I get this issue. I checked the ground on the amp, and it was fine. I will rip the HU out soon and actually replace it. So while it is out, I will check the ground and the other wires.

:hs: Thanks.
Old 03-24-2005, 08:47 PM
M@rshy
٩(̾●̮̮̃̾•̃̾)۶

Oh. I get that sometimes. Mainly when I turn off my stereo. It starts to go bad, sometimes really fricking loud and the only way I can get it to stop is restart my car a few dozen times(exageration) or turn my stereo on and off a few dozen times(not an exageration) and also play around with the fade and balance and stuff.