Notices
Audio, Security, & Automotive Lighting Troubleshoot wiring problems and get equipment suggestions all in one place. Now expanded to include Automotive Lighting

Dome Light Bypass Anyone??

Old 03-16-2005, 04:41 PM
WalknIsStilHnst

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dome Light Bypass Anyone??

So everyone knows that you lose your domelight and keyless entry and your alarm (but Im all stock, Im sure if the domelight was an option i wouldnt have that either). I've read about jumping this and tracing back that, but I have no idea what the hell its talking about. I realize theres a grn/red stripe wire that has some connection to a grn/blk stripe wire, and thats where my understanding ends.

I know Scosche sells a wiring harness (HAK3) but of course I don't know how much or where to get it, I tried email the local rep but juno tells me its not a valid email address(which is bull, **** you juno!) I love doing stuff myself but I have to have some idea what I'm doing first, and in this case I dont.

Can anyone show me how to do this or where to just buy a harness from?
Old 03-16-2005, 04:58 PM
VPUPPY

what is the model and year of your car? is this a 96-98 civic?
Old 03-17-2005, 01:41 PM
WalknIsStilHnst

oh sorry, yea its a 96 civic ex
Old 03-17-2005, 05:37 PM
VPUPPY

when you remove the stock radio from the 96-98 honda civics equipped with factory keyless, the brain for the keyless is built into the radio. you have two options which you have come up with - jump the wire or get the correct harness.

the keyless entry brain is connected in the dash by a green harness. it should be somewhere close to your radio harness. this green harness has the wires you want to jump together. i am not sure of the exact colors but i do remember the green/red being the correct wire. there may be another green/red in the same harness and for some reason i believe that you need to connect the those two together but i forgot.

the other option is to buy the harness, but this step involves you using your old radio. you can get the harness from scosche or by a company named METRA. they make the harnesses that circuit city and best buy carry. the part number is 80-1720T for circuit city or 70-1720T at best buy - called a T harness. once you get this harness you hook up your old radio to one end of the harness, one to your cars harness and one to your old radio. then you plug the green harness into the keyless module and hide the old radio in the dash - best spot is behind the cup holders where the opening for the optional tape/cd player goes.

doing either of these steps will get your dome light working again. it also is helpful if you eventually get a aftermarket alarm put in because without the dome light working, the alarm can't tell if a door gets opened.
Old 03-19-2005, 10:12 PM
19.3secS2K
my bum is on the swedish!

I said screw the harness and jumping the dome wire. I just installed a radio in my lower din and kept my factory radio on the upper din (I have a 96 civic, as well)

I ran the main harness down to the bottom din (it reaches), and I connected the radio harness to the aftermarket harness adapter (for installing aftermarket HU's). While I was doing this, I ran 4 additional wires from the Power (yellow), ignition (red), ground (black), and dimmer (orange). At the other ends of those 4 wires, I put the smallest wire connectors I could find (the ones that slip onto the main wires on speakers, for instance), and wrapped electric tape around them for insulation, and slipped them into the rear of the factory radio where the appropriate wires would go. Keep the green harness in the back of the factory radio, and keyless/dome light works.
Old 03-21-2005, 05:43 AM
bxsnypa
STOCK EJ8 noob

is there any other way to get the dome light to work besides what you guys have said or is that the only way
Old 03-21-2005, 05:18 PM
19.3secS2K
my bum is on the swedish!

every way has been mentioned. the easiest is jumping the wire at the keyless harness.
Old 03-21-2005, 07:08 PM
30psiciv
www.speeddreamz.com

solid lime green and lime grn/red tracer are the two wires to connect together for the domelight to work without usin the proper adaptor harness.