Notices
Audio, Security, & Automotive Lighting Troubleshoot wiring problems and get equipment suggestions all in one place. Now expanded to include Automotive Lighting

Component speakers or 3-ways?? HELP PLEASE

Old 03-12-2005, 06:58 PM
WalknIsStilHnst

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Component speakers or 3-ways?? HELP PLEASE

What is exactly entailed in a component speaker system versus just 2,3, or 4 way speakers in the front and rear? All i know really is that component systems are supposed to be better. What is the big difference between the two sound-wise and do I need to buy a bass if i go with the components or what.

If i do decide to go with the component system, which ones are good? I know the Infinity Kappas are quite popular but who else out there are running affordable systems? I really need some help cuz i cant stand a stock setup and I love my music (as im a musician) but this is the first time ive had enough cash to look into component systems.
Old 03-12-2005, 07:03 PM
b00gers

2-way or 3-way setups are made so that the tweeter(s) is mounted right on top of the woofer. The crossovers are smaller and mounted somewhere on the speaker. In a compenent system, the speakers and crossover are separated. The crossover is generally better also. Component setups also like a bit more power to them also.

IIRC.

In my experience, the stock setup in Hondas are a little weak. Upgrading to a component setup with an external amp makes a world of a difference.
Old 03-13-2005, 11:04 AM
WalknIsStilHnst

Ok thanks, I think I'm gonna go w/ the component system, just have no idea which one. Another big question is whether to get two component systems (one for front, one for rear) or get a 3-way or something for the rear or even nothing at all (i dont like the idea of nothing). Whatre some good amps, i plan on going with a 4 channel and i know it depends on the speaker type but whatre some of the leading names?
Old 03-13-2005, 11:12 AM
yeedatoy
Banned

unless you have subs,you`re gonna need some bass,so you should prob go with some 6x9s.you can always stick more components in the rear doors.pioneer is always reliable and affordable.they also make 5-way 6x9s
Old 03-13-2005, 11:14 AM
Illegal B16
New Zealand

If you have an after market head unit they push out a lot more power than the stock head unit. If you use three way speakers, which are nice, or a two way, like a rockford, you have to make sure that the magnet isnt to big so that your window will still roll down. If you want to mix it up and put 4 ways in the rear that is nice, but they have NO BASS, so i only recomend this to my costomers if they are going to be going with subs also.

I personally dont use amps on my inside speakers, only on my subs. I always spend a little more on the speaker, and save on the amp and wire kit and it turns out good for me. I had a competition 9kind off0 system with 2 15 inch subs and no amp on my internal speakers and it sounded so crisp and clear, I loved it. Juat another point of view for you.
Old 03-13-2005, 05:13 PM
97teg

Actually components are techinically a 2 way. There are also three way components. All that means is in a 2 way you will have a tweeter and a woofer. Each will play its own freq. I think what you mean is coaxial. That is then the tweeter is mounted right on top of the mid. Typically these are cheaper because the materials and crossovers are not built as well. I think its a good idea to go to as many shops as you can and jsut listen to all the different speakers. It ill give you an idea of what you like and what you dont like. It will sound different in the car but atleast youll have an idea.

Also the more "ways" a speaker has does not nessessarly make it sound better. Just because a speakers is a 4 way doesnt mean it will actually sound better then a 3 or even 2 way.

The last thing is I would really reccomend a amp on the interor speakers. Headunit power is way over rated. Most of the time those 50x4 head units will put out maybe 22 or so. What price range are you looking at for amps? I dont like rears but if you really have to i would just go with a set of coaxils and be done with it.
Old 03-13-2005, 06:49 PM
WalknIsStilHnst

Thanks to everyone for the input, it sounds like most people favor the 2 or 3-ways over the component systems? I really would rather have the components in the front, and maybe later on in the back as well. I dont know the running rate on amps really, but just a 4-channel amp strong enough to power Infinity Kappa component speakers possibly? Another Q, if i plug 2 tweeters and 2 woofers of a component system into a 4 ch. amp, is it gonna take up all the channels or just two like 2 or 3-way speakers would. And if it only takes up two of the channels, could I run a sub off one of the other channels or should i just get a mono-amp for the sub? Thanks, I'm bout to custom fiberglass some kickpanels after i pick out my speakers, I'll keep you updated if anyones interested in makin some off my mold.
Old 03-14-2005, 12:26 AM
Arfboy
Diamond Audio turns me on

You can run the component set off 2 channels using the included passive crossovers. You could also bi-amp the components using 4 channels (2 channels for tweets and 2 for midrange/midbass drivers). If you use just 2 channels on the fronts, you could use 1 of the remaining channels to power a sub, or probably bridge the 2 other channels into 1 to power your sub, assuming it's the right impedence load.