Notices
Audio, Security, & Automotive Lighting Troubleshoot wiring problems and get equipment suggestions all in one place. Now expanded to include Automotive Lighting

amp wiring help

Old 02-28-2005, 11:29 AM
rooofey

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default amp wiring help

im about to buy a jl e4300 to amp my fronts and rears. how hard is the wiring for the amp? i dont hav much knowledge on this am i learn more and more about car audio with every new thing i do to my car
Old 02-28-2005, 11:35 AM
b00gers

It is not hard at all if you are comfortable with taking out your car panels and playing with wires.

Ask a specific question, walking someone through installing an amp is possible over the internet
Old 02-28-2005, 11:46 AM
rooofey

well i heard someone say sumthin about finding the firewall is that really neccessary? i thought it was just running under the carpet and such
Old 02-28-2005, 02:20 PM
sharp006

Well, I'm not a audio hooker upper but i watched the guy put mine in and all he did was open the driver door and hood, take it from the battery to around by the windshield wipers (under the hood) then on the right there's a little daylight to sneak the wire from the hood to inside the door along the door frame and under the driver side panel (take it off of course), tucked it under the panel that's connected to the seat belt, under the rear panel then through the backseat through the corner portion of the seat that comes off partly. I hope that can help you a little and if theres something else, I'll tell you if I know it. My friend has a 95 explorer and yesterday they told him he would have to drill a hole in the firewall to get his 4 gauge through because he didn't have any hole between the hood and door. I laughed my azz off!
Old 02-28-2005, 02:31 PM
k3ifers
k three ifers

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by sharp006
Well, I'm not a audio hooker upper but i watched the guy put mine in and all he did was open the driver door and hood, take it from the battery to around by the windshield wipers (under the hood) then on the right there's a little daylight to sneak the wire from the hood to inside the door along the door frame and under the driver side panel (take it off of course), tucked it under the panel that's connected to the seat belt, under the rear panel then through the backseat through the corner portion of the seat that comes off partly. I hope that can help you a little and if theres something else, I'll tell you if I know it. My friend has a 95 explorer and yesterday they told him he would have to drill a hole in the firewall to get his 4 gauge through because he didn't have any hole between the hood and door. I laughed my azz off!
thats how NOT to do it. its really not the "professional" or "correct" way to do it. first of all, if you run it from the hood through the door, it will look horrible, and the insulation around the wire could wear down, and 12 volts to the frame of your car isnt good.

it really isnt hard to wire up an amp. running the power wire through the firewall is the best way to do it, there is usually a rubber thing under the dash by the pedals that wires go through from the engine to the interior. i just cut a small hole and push the wire through it. the worst part for me is being afraid of shocking myself while dealing with the power wire and the battery h:
Old 02-28-2005, 08:17 PM
rooofey

sounds good ill be gettin my amp prolly by next week so ill let ya kno how it goes but from the way u described it im sure i can do it. just gonna be a bitch
Old 02-28-2005, 10:03 PM
b00gers

Here is a quick rundown.

-Take off Neg from battery
-Find the rubber groumet (sp) that is on the firewall. Location depends on car. But there are already wires that run from inside the hood to inside the cabin.
-Put the power wire through the groumet.
-Pull the panels that hold the carpet down and run the power wire through to the trunk
-Pull your headunit and run your RCA and remote wire the same route as the power wire
-Find a place to mount the amp
-You can fuse the power wire again right before the amp, or use a fused distro-block
-Connect everything
-Fuse the power wire 18" from the battery
-Connect to battery
-Hook Neg on battery back
-Tune amp.
Old 03-01-2005, 06:22 AM
k3ifers
k three ifers

Originally Posted by WiLL
Here is a quick rundown.

-Take off Neg from battery
-Find the rubber groumet (sp) that is on the firewall. Location depends on car. But there are already wires that run from inside the hood to inside the cabin.
-Put the power wire through the groumet.
-Pull the panels that hold the carpet down and run the power wire through to the trunk
-Pull your headunit and run your RCA and remote wire the same route as the power wire
-Find a place to mount the amp
-You can fuse the power wire again right before the amp, or use a fused distro-block
-Connect everything
-Fuse the power wire 18" from the battery
-Connect to battery
-Hook Neg on battery back
-Tune amp.
very good any reason why you are supposed to fuse the power wire 18" from the battery? i have a 150A fuse like sittin ontop of the battery, and then a fused distrubution next to my amps
Old 03-01-2005, 06:24 AM
k3ifers
k three ifers

Originally Posted by rooofey
sounds good ill be gettin my amp prolly by next week so ill let ya kno how it goes but from the way u described it im sure i can do it. just gonna be a bitch
its not really that difficult.. its really quite fun doing it yourself. the most annoying part for me is getting all of the panels up and out of the car to run the wire to the trunkn and then putting them back in place while hiding the wires and keeping the carpet under them.
Old 03-01-2005, 07:49 AM
b00gers

Originally Posted by KRA
very good any reason why you are supposed to fuse the power wire 18" from the battery? i have a 150A fuse like sittin ontop of the battery, and then a fused distrubution next to my amps
I meant to say fuse it within 18"h: