Notices
Audio, Security, & Automotive Lighting Troubleshoot wiring problems and get equipment suggestions all in one place. Now expanded to include Automotive Lighting

Connecting Speakers to Amp

Old 01-31-2005, 02:54 PM
danton

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Connecting Speakers to Amp

I recently hooked up an amp and sub, and it sounds great, but I bought a 5 channel amp and wanted to amp my 4 interior speakers. The back of my amp has 3 RCA inputs, 1 for channel 1 & 2, 1 for channel 3 & 4, and 1 for channel 5 which is the special subwoofer channel, where it is currently hooked up.
The back of my headunit only has 1 pair of RCA outputs. Should I buy a whole bunch of splitters and split the signal into 3? I have no idea what to do next...
I dont even know what kind of RCA splitter I would want to find, because if im not mistaken an RCA cable has 2 channels, (left, right) and splitting each channel would cause the sound to be mono rather than stereo... Maybe I dont kno what im talking about
Old 01-31-2005, 05:05 PM
owen996

most of the better decks have 3 sets of RCA outputs, one for the front speakers, one for the rear speakers, and then a subwoofer output. If you split the signal, it'll sound like crap. It kinda sounds like you might be outta luck.
Old 01-31-2005, 05:56 PM
Mike__

If your deck doesn't have sub-out or sub control, chances are you're gonna have to split the rear channel twice and feed it to the sub. low pass filter should take care of the high end sound on the sub channel and it should sound fine.
Old 02-01-2005, 04:18 AM
99IntegraGS

What kind of amp is it?

The JL Audio 500/5 I recently sold to a friend has all of the input connections you described, but only requires one input channel to provide a signal for the entire amp. The more input channels you can give it, the more control you have over the sound. But if you only have one, it'll pass (share) the signal from front to rear to sub.

I'd suggest reading the amp's install manual.... or at least tell us the brand and model so we can help.

JD
Old 02-01-2005, 05:22 AM
orbit77

if you can't join channels like 99integrags said than i would use a crossover to give you your 3 output channels
Old 02-01-2005, 06:02 AM
danton

99integraGS, you're right. I can plug in one RCA input and it filters the sound accordingly. Sorry for bein dumb, im learning