Notices
Audio, Security, & Automotive Lighting Troubleshoot wiring problems and get equipment suggestions all in one place. Now expanded to include Automotive Lighting

Troubleshooting new amp hook up

Old 01-21-2005, 06:32 PM
danton

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Troubleshooting new amp hook up

Hey everyone.
Im in the middle of installing a new system. So far I've got the power cable attached and running through the car to the back along with the remote and RCA jacks going back to the amp, everything seems fine except that the amp will not turn on when hooked up.
I plugged it into my friend's car to rule out the fact that the amp might be bad but it turned and everything (Ive got a 94 civic ex, we plugged it into a 01 buick regal). It is a big 5 channel amp, is my civic's battery not supplying sufficient juice to run the amp or is it just some connection issue? If its a connection issue, are there any common problems I should look out for?
Thanks a lot
Old 01-21-2005, 10:47 PM
MPerson

Check to see if your Remote is even getting any power, sometimes people connect it to the wrong wire off the back of the HU. Attach it directly to the battery, if it powers up, then the remote wire on your HU is not supplying sufficient/any power. If it still doesn't power up, it's a problem with the connection between the Power>Battery or the Ground>Car. Did you make sure you sanded down your grounding point?
Old 01-22-2005, 09:29 AM
strychnine
i am legend

its doubtful that hte battery isn't supplying enough power, even if it wasnt youd get a protection light or something like that. check all of your connections, then check them again, like he said it's more than likely your ground, it's almost always the ground. also check your fuse on the amp if it has one and your fuse holder, basic stuff but often overlooked.
Old 01-22-2005, 11:18 AM
99IntegraGS

Originally Posted by strychnine
its doubtful that hte battery isn't supplying enough power,
He didn't say the battery wasn't supplying enough power, he was talking about the remote turn-on wire.

JD
Old 01-22-2005, 11:27 AM
strychnine
i am legend

Originally Posted by 99IntegraGS
He didn't say the battery wasn't supplying enough power, he was talking about the remote turn-on wire.

JD
Originally Posted by danton
Hey everyone.
Im in the middle of installing a new system. So far I've got the power cable attached and running through the car to the back along with the remote and RCA jacks going back to the amp, everything seems fine except that the amp will not turn on when hooked up.
I plugged it into my friend's car to rule out the fact that the amp might be bad but it turned and everything (Ive got a 94 civic ex, we plugged it into a 01 buick regal). It is a big 5 channel amp, is my civic's battery not supplying sufficient juice to run the amp or is it just some connection issue? If its a connection issue, are there any common problems I should look out for?
Thanks a lot
i may be wrong but see why i thought that?
Old 01-22-2005, 02:11 PM
orbit77

get a multimeter and meter your wires and test how much resistance is in your ground wire to see if the ground is the problem. if your remote wire isn't giving enough power than i would wire up a relay to it.
Old 01-22-2005, 02:22 PM
99IntegraGS

Originally Posted by strychnine
i may be wrong but see why i thought that?
Sorry man, I missed that.

JD
Old 01-22-2005, 06:19 PM
danton

thanks a lot for your help folks! As soon as this damn snows stop ill get back to business