Notices
Audio, Security, & Automotive Lighting Troubleshoot wiring problems and get equipment suggestions all in one place. Now expanded to include Automotive Lighting

Dual XiNBP212 Bandpass Box

Old 01-11-2005, 07:49 PM
Nonchalant

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dual XiNBP212 Bandpass Box

Sup guys a lot of people on here know their stuff.

Well I got a question. I saw the dual bandpass box with the glass case and all for 90 bucks at best buy and I just had to get it. The two 12" subs themselves don't look so great, and I could be biased, but they don't sound too great either (then again I'm pushing them with a 100 rms bridged channel on my Clarion APA450). I just really liked the box and 90 bucks seemed cheap for the box alone.

My idea is to replace the subs with something that'll fit it adequately. Is the sound quality improvement even going to be worth it? Are there any subwoofers that I could fit nicely into the box? I've called the manufacturer but they don't know the specs of the box such as air displacement or anything (frickin idiots, all they have at tech support is the owner's manual). If anyone has any notion on this, I'd love to hear it. Thanks.

Here's what I know about the box: They are wired in parallel and 4 ohm nominal, so I guess that makes them each 8 ohms? They also are said to be 600 watts rms with a sensitivity of 89 db. The 4 ports each have a diamter of 4".
Old 01-14-2005, 08:44 AM
2legit2quit
You Big Dummy

Only giving the two subs 100 watts would detract from the sound quality, but then again, Dual aren't very good to begin with. I don't what subs will fit in that box. If you do put somthing better in the box get a better amp as well. Also, if you're looking for good sound quality, a bandpass box is not the way to go.
Old 01-14-2005, 09:22 PM
Nonchalant

I definitely follow you on the amp, but running those wires will be such fun! especially when it's 4 gauge. I'm looking for a way to upgrade the subwoofers themselves, maybe ones with higher sensitivity. Anybody know?
Old 01-15-2005, 05:17 PM
Arfboy
Diamond Audio turns me on

If they're SVC subs with 4 ohm coils wired in parallel, the impedence load is 2 ohms, not 8. That amp is stable down to 4 ohms bridged so if you have them wired for a 2 ohm load, watch for that amp going into protection mode.

Putting random subs into prefab boxes not built to spec for the subs is the source of the sound quality problem. Bandpass specs are a lot less tolerant than sealed and vented enclosures. Like all other enclosure designs, they should be designed around the specs of the sub and the power given. Using some sub with unknown specs in an enclosure with unknown specs is just gambling that it'll sound good.
Old 01-15-2005, 07:40 PM
VPUPPY

Arfboy is absolutely right when he talks about the prefab boxes and air space.
Old 01-16-2005, 10:15 AM
Nonchalant

Well, what subwoofers are really versatile? That's what I'm tryin to find out, then I'll do a little research to see if I can make it work.
Old 01-16-2005, 11:07 AM
VPUPPY

if i were you i would take the subs out, and find the amount of air space you are dealing with, then find subs that fit that airspace.
Old 01-16-2005, 04:38 PM
Nonchalant

Thanks VPUPPY, that's definitely a route I can go.
Old 01-16-2005, 04:55 PM
orbit77

once you figure out how much space you have you might want to trim the ports to tune it a bit for what subs you are getting.

check out 12volt.com to find an calculator for figure how long your ports should be.
Old 01-17-2005, 11:34 AM
Nonchalant

12volt.com doesn't really help though.