Notices
Audio, Security, & Automotive Lighting Troubleshoot wiring problems and get equipment suggestions all in one place. Now expanded to include Automotive Lighting

Random Electricity Outages

Old 12-28-2004, 03:54 AM
Keytwo
*Bling Blang*

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Random Electricity Outages

Here are my list of problems:
Headlights rarely, but sometimes go dim for about 1/4 seconds.
Cigarette lighter (Radar Detector) cuts in an out, but very randomly. Sometimes repeated many times within seconds, sometimes not at all.
Power to Stereo randomly cuts in and out.
Many times when the car is first started the A/C doesn't come on, but it usually does within a short time (perhaps a separate issue).
Indiglo cluster lights go in and out.
All of these electrical outages can occur independant of each other.
This is probably completely independant, but my car also lopes at idle speed, and misfires when cold started.

Here is other information:
The car is a 91 Integra.
Indiglo lights are wired to headlight circuit.
1000W amp connected to battery.
I had a similar problem before, except many things would cut in and out at the same time (rather than things cutting in and out independantly). Replaced the electrical comp. of the ignition switch, which solved the problem.
I recently replaced Wires/Plugs/Caps/Coil/Rotor.
I haven't messed with any wiring recently.

I'm planning on replacing some fuses later today, and I'm likely going switch to a lower gauge wire for the Amp ground (currently using 12 or 14 gauge), but I don't really expect either to have much of an effect.

Any tips on what I should look for when approaching this problem?

Thanks for reading!
Old 12-28-2004, 06:41 AM
billscivic00

Do you have a cap for your system? So it can store power up for your amp. When this all happens, is your system playing? I would consider going to get your battery tested and get your alternator tested. Also if you have a 1000 watt amp, you should be atleast running 4 gauge power and 4 gauge ground for it. I have learned to run matching power and ground size cable.
Old 12-28-2004, 03:26 PM
Keytwo
*Bling Blang*

Originally Posted by billscivic00
Do you have a cap for your system? So it can store power up for your amp. When this all happens, is your system playing? I would consider going to get your battery tested and get your alternator tested. Also if you have a 1000 watt amp, you should be atleast running 4 gauge power and 4 gauge ground for it. I have learned to run matching power and ground size cable.
Thanks for the tips. I'll try that stuff out.

What rating Capacitor should I try out?

Any other ideas?
Old 12-28-2004, 08:06 PM
billscivic00

I would try atleast a 1 farad capicitor.
Old 02-13-2005, 06:29 PM
Keytwo
*Bling Blang*

I didn't install a capacitor, but after rewiring the amp with lower gauge wire and replacing one of the oil soaked ground wires (the one that is in the front of the engine, in clear view with the hood popped) many of the problems cleared up. My temperature gauge is still acting funny when I'm stopped, but oh well.