Notices
Audio, Security, & Automotive Lighting Troubleshoot wiring problems and get equipment suggestions all in one place. Now expanded to include Automotive Lighting

Amp Wiring Kits

Old 12-02-2004, 05:39 PM
carrnut21
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Amp Wiring Kits

I recently purchased a 1200 watt sony 2 channel amp and two 1100 sony 12 inch subs form best buy for my 98 accord 4 door. the sales guy tried to sell me a $100 Rockford Fosgate 4 gauge wiring kit. The price seemed riduclous, so i told him i would pass. At Wal-mart, i found a wiring kit for $25. The brand is called Scosche and the box said 700-1400 watts. I am wondering if it is crap, or if the Fosgate kit is outragiously overpriced. Also, the kit only has 15 feet of 4 gauge, and 12 feet of 8 gauge, along with the other stuff you need, like the REM wire, the fuse box, and and the wire to connect to my stereo. IS this enough 4 and 8 guage wire to make everything work?
Old 12-02-2004, 06:55 PM
TTT

You are right, the fosgate kit is overpriced. And that is everything you need except for speaker wire and probably a second RCA wire to connect to your cd player, unless it has two in it. If the length of the wires in there are long enough then go for it... the only thing different in this kit than in the rockford one is probably the quality of the rca wires... but i doubt you will be able to tell a difference anyways. Oh yeah, and your gonna need 3 fuses and 3 fuse holders if there aren't any in there, since i doubt the distro block is fused for you.
Old 12-02-2004, 07:06 PM
GenXer
Registered Honda user

Hmm...15 ft. seems a little short if you're going from trunk to battery, but not if you're going from under the front seat to battery.

I don't know what the Fosgate kit looks like, but 4 gauge wire is plenty big enough for a car amp. I've probably used smaller jumper cables, heh.
Old 12-02-2004, 07:19 PM
TTT

Originally Posted by mrksts
4 gauge wire is plenty big enough for a car amp.
now i wouldnt say that... in his case its fine, but there are hundreds of people out there that need larger than 4 gauge.
Old 12-02-2004, 07:22 PM
TTT

Originally Posted by TTT
You are right, the fosgate kit is overpriced. And that is everything you need except for speaker wire and probably a second RCA wire to connect to your cd player, unless it has two in it. If the length of the wires in there are long enough then go for it... the only thing different in this kit than in the rockford one is probably the quality of the rca wires... but i doubt you will be able to tell a difference anyways. Oh yeah, and your gonna need 3 fuses and 3 fuse holders if there aren't any in there, since i doubt the distro block is fused for you.
let me edit this... after reading over again, i see you only have one amp... that kit actually has alittle extra in it. 1- you don't need the 8 gauge wire and 2 you dont need the "fuse box" which if im correct you are referring to the distro block. You only need the fuse and fuse holder, speaker wires, and of course terminals to complete the kit.
Old 12-02-2004, 07:23 PM
TTT

oh, and remember, plan on using around 2 feet of the 4 gauge wire to ground your amp.
Old 12-03-2004, 01:28 AM
Arfboy
Diamond Audio turns me on

lol. Gotta love Sony's marketing gimmicks...that "1200 watt" amp is really just a 500 watt amp. You could even get away with 8 gauge for that.
Old 12-03-2004, 01:30 AM
Arfboy
Diamond Audio turns me on

Originally Posted by TTT
now i wouldnt say that... in his case its fine, but there are hundreds of people out there that need larger than 4 gauge.
:werd: My amps crave 0 ga.
Old 12-03-2004, 10:38 AM
TTT

Originally Posted by Arfboy
lol. Gotta love Sony's marketing gimmicks...that "1200 watt" amp is really just a 500 watt amp. You could even get away with 8 gauge for that.
heh... 500 is really really pushing it arf
Old 12-08-2004, 08:38 PM
Kirby

yeah.. i have a walmart wiring kit and had everything i needed and works just fine.