Notices
Audio, Security, & Automotive Lighting Troubleshoot wiring problems and get equipment suggestions all in one place. Now expanded to include Automotive Lighting

sub problem

Old 11-30-2004, 10:42 AM
gsrsurfer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default sub problem

I just put a new head unit in, and now my subs are not working. I am pretty sure it was installed correctly, all the speakers are working and everything but just not the subs. When i turn my lights on or blinker the subs hit real quick and thats it. Does anyone know what could be wrong with it?
Old 11-30-2004, 10:47 AM
TTT

Is your amp on?
Old 11-30-2004, 10:48 AM
gsrsurfer

Yes it is.
Old 11-30-2004, 01:22 PM
TTT

Does your amp have a protection light on it? And if it does, is it on?

First thing to do is check your ground on your amp AND your cd player to make sure they are grounded properly. Next, make sure your rca wires are plugged in securely. If that doesn't work, let me know what kind of amp you have and what resistance your subs are rated at, and how you have them hooked up (series or parallel).
Old 11-30-2004, 06:42 PM
gsrsurfer

The protection light is not on the normal green light is on. Its a JBL audio amp with two adire audio shiva 12" dual 8ohm voice coils subs. Both grounds are grounded properly. I'm not sure how i have them hooked up but i can explain it if needed. I dont think it has anything to do with the amp or subs because they worked fine before i installed the new head unit.
Old 11-30-2004, 08:04 PM
Arfboy
Diamond Audio turns me on

If your subs are hitting when you play with the lights, then something's definitely wired wrong somewhere. I don't think it's the amp or sub either if it's behaving that way. Take the deck out and check the connections in the back.
Old 11-30-2004, 11:06 PM
TTT

Originally Posted by gsrsurfer
The protection light is not on the normal green light is on. Its a JBL audio amp with two adire audio shiva 12" dual 8ohm voice coils subs. Both grounds are grounded properly. I'm not sure how i have them hooked up but i can explain it if needed. I dont think it has anything to do with the amp or subs because they worked fine before i installed the new head unit.
did you check the signal wires to make sure they were plugged in securely?
Old 12-01-2004, 09:35 AM
kill_kill_kill
it's sarcastic dude

What is the amp grounded too? like Arfboy said about the lights; maybe try a different ground point.

^ wait if it worked before a new head unit then the ground ( i assume the same ) is probably secure, try anyway but kinda nevermind.,.,......(doh!)
Old 12-01-2004, 10:47 AM
rcurley55

People...quit guessing....just troubleshoot it.

So, new headunit, and now the subs don't work....unless you really ****ed something up in the installation, the head is the culprit...assuming nothing else in the system has changed....since you didn't say anything, I'm going to guess that there are no other external processors in the chain (line driver, eq, crossover, etc)

Step 1. Put the old head back in and see if it works fine.

If it works ok, you obviously did either a poor job of installing the head (bad ground, RCA's pinched or not plugged in properly, etc) or, the head is broken.

Step 2. IF you can't reinstall the old head, take the rca's from the amp for the highs, and use them to supply source to the subs. Do the subs work? Test your blinker phenomenon?

--if they work fine now, then the problem is before the subwoofer amplifier - subs and sub amp are fine
--if they don't work, you could have caused a problem with both.

It's rare that both heads would prove to be bad, or that the sub amp/install went bad with no changes.

Start with those easy tests, and post results. That will get you on your way to diagnosing the problem....
Old 12-01-2004, 01:49 PM
gsrsurfer

I alrady tried it with the stock integra head unit and it didnt work. I had a line output converter(i think thats what its called) that was tapped into the speaker wires right behind the head unit. My subs worked with for awhile then it stopped working and i never knew why. I just got a new head unit and just figured there was something wrong with the way they were tapped into the speaker wires. I was messing with the wires to the head unit a little earlier and the bass would kick on for about 30 secs and stop. It did that a few times. The only thing i can think of is the amp is going crazy but the green light is always on so i dont know about that.