Notices
Audio, Security, & Automotive Lighting Troubleshoot wiring problems and get equipment suggestions all in one place. Now expanded to include Automotive Lighting

I need help.

Old 10-26-2004, 05:33 PM
cambridge1807

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I need help.

Can anyone recommend what amp to get to go with a kicker comp vr sub. btw, since i dont know much about subs or car audio, what is the difference between 2ohm and 4ohm. o yea, i have like 200 to spend for an amp.

i would like to know if this box is good for the subs.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...e=STRK:MEWA:IT

any help is appreciated. thanks
Old 10-26-2004, 06:48 PM
owen996

Well, I am assuming you got a 12-inch sub, since you are looking at a 12-inch box, and I just looked up on Kicker's website and the RMS of that sub is 400watts. Ohms is how much power is actually getting to the amp, if you have it at 2 ohms, it cuts the power of the amp in half than if you ran the amp at 1 ohm and at full power, it also cuts down on the efficiency since you are cutting the power. If you click on this link http://www.crutchfield.com/S-U6VRlG3...10&I=037A4002T
that will send you to a nice Audiobahn amp that gives you 400watts at 1 ohm in bridged mode, and costs $199.99, which translates to probably under $140 on ebay. Now with that extra money, you could go out, and buy some plywood and carpeting to make your own box and have the satisfaction of knowing you made your own box to your specific application.

You may also want to take a look at this... http://www.kicker.com/images/manuals/03CompVRManual.pdf

Last edited by owen996; 10-26-2004 at 06:57 PM. Reason: my grammar sucks
Old 10-26-2004, 07:14 PM
strychnine
i am legend

A lot of people prefer sealed boxes over bandpasses. It's all about personal preference but that box should do just fine if you can get it cheap enough, right now it's cheaper than the materials you'd need to build one.
Old 10-26-2004, 08:06 PM
Arfboy
Diamond Audio turns me on

Ohms is NOT how much power is getting to the amp. The amp power draw is measured in amps. Ohms is the impedence measure, which tells how much resistance there is in the flow of power from the amp to the speaker/sub.

That thing about efficiency is also false. Different amps have different power outputs at different impedences. Just because you lower the impedence doesn't necessarily equate to more power. (Example: My Xtant X1001 provides max power, 1000W, at both 1 ohm and 2 ohms configurations.) Plus, not all amps are designed to handle a 1 ohm load.

Cambridge, to determine the amp that best suits your needs, you'll need to figure out what voice coil configuration your sub is (dual 2 ohm or dual 4 ohm). If it's dual 2 ohm, you can wire it at 1 ohm parallel or 4 ohms in series. If it's dual 4 ohm, you can wire it at 2 ohms parallel or 8 ohms in series. Also, keep in mind that the 400W RMS rating for the CompVR is for the recommended sealed enclosure. If you're going to get a prefab bandpass box not built to spec, it would affect the power handling capability of the sub, so go easy on the gains.

Here's a good amp if you have a dual 2 ohm sub...Hifonics Zeus ZX4000 for only $141 shipped.
Or check out the Kicker KX450.2. It's also under $200.

Here's one if you have a dual 4 ohm sub...MTX Thunder 421D.
Old 10-26-2004, 08:56 PM
TTT

Choosing a box for your sub isn't as easy as it seems. Especially choosing a bandpass box. There are many different variations of bandpass boxes, and with each variation comes a different volume (or multiple volumes for different chambers of the box) your sub needs to perform properly. Most bandpass boxes make the sub sound loud but 'sloppy'... mainly due to the fine tuning needed to create a good box. I would suggest you stick with either ported or sealed, unless you could care less about sound quality and only focus on how loud it is. With a sealed box, you have one volume to worry about, and generally sealed boxes make the sub sound very good. Ported is generally a bit louder, but also has more spikes in the frequency response (again, somewhat 'sloppy').

Originally Posted by Arfboy
Ohms is NOT how much power is getting to the amp. The amp power draw is measured in amps. Ohms is the impedence measure, which tells how much resistance there is in the flow of power from the amp to the speaker/sub.

That thing about efficiency is also false. Different amps have different power outputs at different impedences. Just because you lower the impedence doesn't necessarily equate to more power. (Example: My Xtant X1001 provides max power, 1000W, at both 1 ohm and 2 ohms configurations.) Plus, not all amps are designed to handle a 1 ohm load.

Cambridge, to determine the amp that best suits your needs, you'll need to figure out what voice coil configuration your sub is (dual 2 ohm or dual 4 ohm). If it's dual 2 ohm, you can wire it at 1 ohm parallel or 4 ohms in series. If it's dual 4 ohm, you can wire it at 2 ohms parallel or 8 ohms in series. Also, keep in mind that the 400W RMS rating for the CompVR is for the recommended sealed enclosure. If you're going to get a prefab bandpass box not built to spec, it would affect the power handling capability of the sub, so go easy on the gains.

Here's a good amp if you have a dual 2 ohm sub...Hifonics Zeus ZX4000 for only $141 shipped.
Or check out the Kicker KX450.2. It's also under $200.

Here's one if you have a dual 4 ohm sub...MTX Thunder 421D.
^listen to this guy, hes got it down.
Old 10-26-2004, 09:46 PM
next157

i suggest when ur looking for a box, to go to your subs website and check what kinda of box is recommended for your sub. They should tell you which is better, sealed or ported. And also, how many cubic ft and what hz is it best tuned at. I did that with my sub and replaced my old box from sealed to ported with the recommended specs of the sub and it sounds alot better.
Old 10-27-2004, 03:25 PM
cambridge1807

Can anyone in the OC/LA area help me install my system once i get it?