Notices
Audio, Security, & Automotive Lighting Troubleshoot wiring problems and get equipment suggestions all in one place. Now expanded to include Automotive Lighting

sub troubles

Old 10-20-2004, 05:52 PM
TTT

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by KuttinEdge

Being that you only have the one subwoofer hooked up, as far as I can tell, chances are that it is not because the amp cant handle the impedance, being that is either a 2,4,or 6ohm speaker.
Unless its a two ohm speaker wired to bridge the amp... most amps do not handle a 2 ohm mono load.

Tell us what impedance your sub is, and how you have it hooked up to your amplifier. Also, check ALL your connections, the ones on your cd player (usually you only need to check the ground acc and power), as well as the connection to your battery. You should be sure that you have sufficient gauge wire (if it is a true 800 wrms amplifier, then you are going to need at least 4 gauge wiring).
Old 10-21-2004, 02:52 PM
gsr92hatch

im pretty sure that its a 4 ohm sub, and the amp is a 2bridge amp, but i dont think its bridged, (only connected to one spot on the amp, not both {im dumb})
Old 10-22-2004, 04:02 PM
KuttinEdge

[QUOTE=TTT]Unless its a two ohm speaker wired to bridge the amp... most amps do not handle a 2 ohm mono load.

Actually, i really cant even think of any Mono amplifier (and being that he is running a 15 i would think he would be running a class D) that cant handle 2 ohms (or at least claim to handle anyway)....

There are a million and one things that it may be. I dont know if i would recommend switching out the amplifier with another being that you are not sure where the problem is. Though if it was a serious problem where there were wires touching (- the remote wire), fuses would have blown or your car would have caught on fire, so an amplifier may not be out of the question
Old 10-22-2004, 11:32 PM
TTT

Originally Posted by KuttinEdge
Originally Posted by TTT
Unless its a two ohm speaker wired to bridge the amp... most amps do not handle a 2 ohm mono load.
Actually, i really cant even think of any Mono amplifier (and being that he is running a 15 i would think he would be running a class D) that cant handle 2 ohms (or at least claim to handle anyway)....
To my knowledge you can't bridge a mono amplifier.
Old 10-31-2004, 07:43 PM
adgj

you it could be your inline fuse by the battery.sounds like the prob i was having with mine.try wiggling the wire to see if it cuts on and off.if it does jus replace the fuse
Old 11-16-2004, 06:28 PM
tonto0808

are you running anything else off the amp if so and they turn off the amp is probably overheated or toast, if other speakers work then it is something in your connection or possibly the speaker itself, most likely sounds like a bad amp though, sorry
Old 11-16-2004, 06:31 PM
IluvJae
Grifball Player

make sure the amp for your fuse aint blow. I know my subs went out one da and i was truly confused until i looked under the hood and saw that my fuse blew