Notices
Audio, Security, & Automotive Lighting Troubleshoot wiring problems and get equipment suggestions all in one place. Now expanded to include Automotive Lighting

anyone put 6x9 subs in rear of accord?

Old 09-05-2004, 02:35 PM
dazco

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default anyone put 6x9 subs in rear of accord?

I wanna replace the rears in my 04', but i'm not sure what i should get. The stockers don't sound bad till the volume is about 60% of the way up. Then the bas gets flabby. Since it has 2 way components in the front, i'm thinking of putting 6x9 subs in the rear. But i'm wondering if doing this will throw the balance of sound off because the stockers obviously are contribting to the mids and highs to some extent, and may even have been chosen to compliment he overall system. If so, my fear is that subs would cause me to lose the hi and mid quality that right now is fine.

So i'd like to hear from anyone who has replaced the stock rear 6x9's in an accord, preferably the latest gen, (tho any year is better than no thoughts) and what the results were and what brand and model they were....thanks...
Old 09-06-2004, 03:41 PM
raylude-vtec

DON'T GET 6x9's!!!!!!! All it will do is cause bass cancellation, distortion, and the sub could damage the cone! Yes they can due to pressure from the sub air!!!
However, if you must get rear fills, get coaxial speakers, and place margarine tub underneath the cone (I kid not
ALSO, AMP YOUR FRONTS! Main priorety (if not done alreadY) you won;t get cancellation then!
Try amping front's before getting rear fills though..
Ray
Old 09-06-2004, 03:55 PM
dazco

DON'T GET 6x9's!!!!!!! All it will do is cause bass cancellation, distortion, and the sub could damage the cone!
This sentance has me scratching my head to be honest. (no offence) First of all, don't you mean "don't get 6x9 SUBS" ? The confusion is that the way you worded it sounds like you're saying not to rplace the 6x9's period. As for the damage and cancellation, i can't see why i'd get cancellation as long as all speakers are in phase, and as far as damege, i don't see why anything i put back there would be damaged because for one thing the rears don't get very loud. Besides, i'd likely look for free air subs.

However, if you must get rear fills, get coaxial speakers, and place margarine tub underneath the cone (I kid not
ALSO, AMP YOUR FRONTS! Main priorety (if not done alreadY) you won;t get cancellation then!
No, i'm not going to mod anything. The stereo is fine as is except for the rear low end distortion, which i'd live with before i'd mod anything other than the rear 6x9 replacement.
Old 09-06-2004, 04:22 PM
raylude-vtec

Right, it was all assuming you had a bass box (sub woofer)
If you don;t then 6x9's should be ok, if you have a sub woofer, then DON'T BOTHER
Ok assuming you had a sub woofer, the vibrations from the air would push the cones up on the 6x9's (if on parcel shelf) which would cause damage to the cone! The sub and 6x9 would try and play certain bass notes, but would cancel each other out too!

Ok first step is to UPGRADE YOUR fronts or amp them (if they are good enough) The music comes from the front, this is where the sound stage is! Like a concert, everything comes from the front, if everything came from behind then it would sound 'weird'! Imagine if you were talking to some one, the other guy was behind you and you wasn't looking at him! It takes more concentration in understanding and comprehending what is said! So fronts are the most vital part!
In order to get the most out of the front, AMP THEM! The Headunit will give 20-22(headunit turned up before distortion, so 75%) watt rms each max (this is from a good headunit too) imagine if you got the full potential without distortion, so say 40 watt rms, that would make a HUGE DIFFERENCE instantly! Am I not correct?
Old 09-07-2004, 07:25 AM
dazco

Again, i have zero desire to and i am not going to do anthing other than replace the 6x9's! The stereo is 100% stock and the ONLY thing i'm not happy about is the way the rear 6x9's distort in the low end when cranked up fairly high. Other than that i'm totally happy with it and i don't want or need any amps or front speakers. The rears distortion isn't tha amp either..........it's the speaker. So all i want is a 6x9 that doesn't distort, tho a set of 6x9 subs may be even better, hence the original question.
Old 09-07-2004, 07:47 AM
pnthr30

Originally Posted by raylude-vtec
DON'T GET 6x9's!!!!!!! All it will do is cause bass cancellation, distortion, and the sub could damage the cone! Yes they can due to pressure from the sub air!!!
Ray
If installed/tuned correctly, you don't have to worry about any of this (i.e. cross over the 6x9's so they only play highs (with most of the sound "faded" to the front).......... and play the sub in reverse mode).
Old 09-07-2004, 07:50 AM
pnthr30

dazco - I don't know what you mean by 6x9 subs........

I sent you a PM by the way.
Old 09-07-2004, 09:28 AM
dazco

dazco - I don't know what you mean by 6x9 subs
Just that. They do make subs in 6x9 size, tho they aren't common, but they're out there. As to the speakers, no thanks. I'm just gonna buy locally and saving a few bucks is unimportant to me compared to being able to hear the speakers i'm considering side by side.
Old 09-07-2004, 10:08 AM
pnthr30

Fair enough, good luck! I will have to keep my eyes open for some 6x9 subs - didn't know there was such a thing.
Old 09-07-2004, 09:37 PM
rcurley55

Ok, the only thing that you are goign to find are a pair of kicker 6x9" woofers. I don't know if you can still find them, but they are designed for free-air installation. So, basically, replace them with your current 6x9's and you are good. BUT you are going to have to use the proper amplifier and crossover to make them effective - this isn't a simple drop in replacement.

What may make you happier, is to simply remove the factory rears, and use a powered subwoofer like an infinity basslink. Based on your previous statements, I think this will give you a good mixture of bass, low cost, and space savings.