Notices
Audio, Security, & Automotive Lighting Troubleshoot wiring problems and get equipment suggestions all in one place. Now expanded to include Automotive Lighting

What do you think of this Memphis Amp?

Old 08-15-2004, 07:10 PM
Calilude
I'm Shy :(

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What do you think of this Memphis Amp?

It's an ebay item. However I was just wondering what your thougts were? I have 2 10 inch subs that I believe are pushing 600 watts total. This amp will be pushing 1100 watts at one ohm and 1 channel. What do you think of this set up? I'll try and get pics of it once it's done. This will be going in a 03 Tacoma which has no back space for subs or anything. One of the seats had to be converted into the box where the subs will be. People will still be able to sit in that seat.

Here's the link to the amp: What year is this amp?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...e=STRK:MEWA:IT

Last edited by Calilude; 08-15-2004 at 07:10 PM. Reason: Adding a Link
Old 08-15-2004, 07:14 PM
saga
broke college kid

If you're pushing 1100W into 600W speakers they'll rip like those cheap paper towels in Bounty commercials.
Old 08-15-2004, 07:25 PM
Calilude

Originally Posted by saga
If you're pushing 1100W into 600W speakers they'll rip like those cheap paper towels in Bounty commercials.
lol wow, I'd better double check on the specs of those speakers then. I'm kind of a newb when it comes to stereo equipment. I've only had 2 12" w3 jL's in my old civic hatch before they got stolen. I haven't had a stereo since.
Old 08-15-2004, 08:08 PM
rcurley55

1 kW on a pair of subs that handle 600W will be fine if you use common sense. Post up what subs you want to use.

on a side note - what an idiot - it's a Capacitor - not a Capacitator..haha
Old 08-15-2004, 08:20 PM
saga
broke college kid

Originally Posted by rcurley55
1 kW on a pair of subs that handle 600W will be fine if you use common sense.
If you want to push it as hard as you can all the time it's gonna kill them. With my work as a sound engineer working with rigs of 50k watts and such total power and dealing with professionals in the industry I have always been told to match RMS on speakers and AMPs. Gives the cleanest best sound while also not risking your speakers. Of course to each his own. I'm one to have my speakers not be pushed too hard than to have them being pushed to their limits constantly.
Old 08-15-2004, 11:27 PM
Arfboy
Diamond Audio turns me on

Let's see what kind of subs and voice coil impedence setup he's talking about before we make the hasty assumption that this'll fry his subs. He says he thinks they're pushing 600W; doesn't mean that that's what they're capable of handling. Nor does it necessarily mean he'll wire them at 1ohm on the Memphis.

And even if it's a 1100W wired to feed the subs that handle 600W, you can always set the gains down. It's not set in stone that you HAVE TO turn the gains up. Like rcurley55 said, just use common sense and you'll be fine. I've run a 250W RMS sub in a temporary setup for months off a 1000W amp and it never blew cause I wasn't stupid enough to crank it up full blast - I just set it reasonably.
Old 09-04-2004, 10:33 AM
Calilude

Ok my subs are pretty much done and installed in my truck. The wattage if I'm correct is 500 watts each sub. And the amp is 1100 watts. It hits pretty damn good and hard however I need to change my speaker components on my doors and what not. That will come later on. I also need to get a new deck because my stock deck doesn't put out as much power as it should. It's only maybe putting out half of what it should be putting out. I'm thinking of adding a third sub just to cover the whole back seat area and get another amp.
Old 09-04-2004, 11:35 AM
97teg

Originally Posted by saga
If you want to push it as hard as you can all the time it's gonna kill them. With my work as a sound engineer working with rigs of 50k watts and such total power and dealing with professionals in the industry I have always been told to match RMS on speakers and AMPs. Gives the cleanest best sound while also not risking your speakers. Of course to each his own. I'm one to have my speakers not be pushed too hard than to have them being pushed to their limits constantly.
The question is, will he actually push it hard all the time? Thats a fair amount of power to be listening to everyday all the time. I would imagine it would do pretty good hearing damage pretty quick in the defined space of a car. I could see how it would be important at concerts where everything is being pushed very hard all the time. Also how do does differing box sizes/ types and overratting/ underrating of amps and speakers come in to play? Im just curious.
Old 09-04-2004, 11:16 PM
Calilude

I don't push it hard all the time. With my stock deck it doesn't give the full power to my subs it should. I'm working on getting a new deck in the next month or so. I'm also going to be changing my door speakers as well. My stock door speakers don't sound to bad but I'm going to change them anyways.
Old 09-07-2004, 05:36 PM
Nighthawk8k
Custom User Title:

If its 1100W is that 1100/2 for each sub? or is it 1100 for each sub?