Notices
Audio, Security, & Automotive Lighting Troubleshoot wiring problems and get equipment suggestions all in one place. Now expanded to include Automotive Lighting

im totally lost with thisa audio stuff!!!! help

Old 08-12-2004, 09:27 PM
SICK BOY
gsr-t hatch in progress!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default im totally lost with thisa audio stuff!!!! help

well i gotta 5th gen civic cx hatch, i dont like the stock stuff in it one bit. what should i get to replace the old stuff. im totally new to this stuff so i dont know much! can i buy like a kit or something that will include everything? i no i wanna get a new hu, should i get an a mp too? is it easy to learn to wire everything or should i have someone else do it? i dont want something super loud, but would like something that i can enjoy with a little umpphhh! thanks
Old 08-12-2004, 10:34 PM
saga
broke college kid

www.crutchfield.com has a lot of info for noobs. if you don't mind paying a little more for your parts then they're a great way to go. they send you everything you need with every order and offer toll free phone support while you install everything if you get stuck. if you don't feel like paying extra for your shit just use their site to find out what fits your car and buy it elsewhere. you can also send them an e-mail after you get your parts and tell them you bought them somewhere else but want all the extra stuff they would have given you if you boughtthe components from them. they'll hokk you up and it won't be too expensive.
Old 08-14-2004, 04:16 PM
Human Hybrid

I nice new, Headunit would be a nice start...don't worry about an AMP unless you are looking to add a lil more power to after market speakers or subwoofers. Usually a decent headunit and after market component speakers sound nice.... Wiring usually isn't too hard if you have the wiring kit...but I usually ghetto rig mines by just matching the colors of the wires....but I think it's best you get someone who knows what they are doing to do it for you....

Basically it just comes down to how much money you are willing to spend..
Old 08-14-2004, 06:03 PM
SICK BOY
gsr-t hatch in progress!

well how much would a decent hu and new speakers cost? and i have some friends that could help install so i wouldnt have to pay for that.
Old 08-14-2004, 10:58 PM
saga
broke college kid

Matters what features you're looking for in the HU. If you don't plan on adding amps for your speakers in the future then just look for speakers that match your HU power wise. Can't really give an estimate without knowing what features you're looking for and how much power you want. Shop around online and you can get a sense of the price range. I paid $350 for my HU (Crutchfield sells it for $500 those bastards) but that's definitely a more expensive one, got it cause it pushes out 60W RMS per channel which is the highest I've seen on any unit. It all depends on what you're looking for. Keep asking questions.
Old 08-15-2004, 08:06 AM
tegryder23
cgp dc4

A good headunit is a good start. Now depending on your budget you could go new speakers all around or just a 10 or 12 inch subwoofer. Or even do a combo of both. The only time you would need an extra amp to run the extra speakers is if the hu isnt powerful enough. Most people can tell if the speakers are powered seperatly. If you have the money to do that go for it. Some good brands that I recommend are Alpine, Pioneer, Eclipse, Kenwood and Rockford Fosgate. All quality brands that will give you your money's worth and will last. Stay away from Panasonic, Audiobahn and Sony. Those are good brands with a lotta power but 1 year or 2 down the road...you won't have them anymore....good luck with the system and update us with what ya get. Oh and like saga said crutchfield is the best place to learn, wiring isnt that hard
Old 08-15-2004, 04:27 PM
Human Hybrid

Or go to a local audio store....NOT bestbuy or circuit city...a nice local audio store that let you listen to set-ups before deciding what you really are looking for.