Notices
Audio, Security, & Automotive Lighting Troubleshoot wiring problems and get equipment suggestions all in one place. Now expanded to include Automotive Lighting

Questions about drilling...

Old 08-01-2004, 08:52 PM
dave97LX
is a guitar hero

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Questions about drilling...

quick questions about my amp..

I have an alpine mrv-F340 4-channel amp that is driving my front and rear speakers, and I want to mount it on the left trunk wall of my 97 accord LX (right behind the backseat). Is this a safe place to drill since the gas tank is right behind it? How far can I drill before I am in danger of hitting the tank, and if this place isnt a good idea where would a better mounting location be?

also, I am looking for the right place on the passenger side to drill for my power cable...is there a pre-drilled hole on that side already, or do I have to find a place to drill and put a grommet?

I've been researching alot since it is my first amp install and I don't want to start it until I've got everything figured out. Thanks for the help!
Old 08-01-2004, 09:16 PM
saga
broke college kid

If you wanted something real clean looking you could do something like this: http://performance.clubrsx.com/fiberglasssubbox.html just sans the sub. Then mount it a little further back in the trunk. Just to get ideas going in your mind. You could also try going to an auto stereo install place and asking for an estimate to put the amp in that spot. If it's a bad spot they'll probably tell you that they won't do it and give you the reason or suggest better spots (they don't have to know you plan on doing it yourself).
Old 08-02-2004, 10:49 AM
dave97LX
is a guitar hero

That would be a good idea but I carry golf clubs around all the time and have to carry a lot to and from school.

I'm actually planning to install an infinity basslink in the back left corner of the trunk (opposite side of where the spare tire jack is) next, since I don't really need a competition-caliber system...My objective is to lose as little cargo space as possible so I don't want to mount the amp on the floor or fabricate an enclosure to mount the amp to.

Would the rear seatback be a good place for the amp? If so then how does that work, do I just drill holes into the back of the seat or mount a piece of wood or something to drill and mount the amp onto?

Thanks again...also any 5th-gen owners out there that want to share their amp install experiences, your help would be great!
Old 08-02-2004, 12:19 PM
saga
broke college kid

Sorry, I don't know about mounting to the back of a seat. I'm saving money for my sub setup and haven't installed it yet. Does the amp not fit under a seat? Maybe an amp rack mounted between the rear speakers (this type of thing: http://www.cardomain.com/item/QLCQLAMP1S)? That way you'll lose zero cargo space. A couple ideas.
Old 08-03-2004, 08:35 PM
dave97LX
is a guitar hero

I'm probably not gonna mount the amp under either seat, since I shove cds and other stuff under there most of the time. I'm not really too eager to mount the amp on the rear deck because that could attract thieves (I'm parking this car at college) so I definitely want it in the trunk somewhere, off the floor.

Anybody have any suggestions as to where/how to mount it? Is the right side of the trunk safe to drill since there's no gas tank over there?

Also, I've looked for that damn grommet on the passenger side to put the power wire through and can't find it. I know these are all new-guy questions but I really appreciate the help.
Old 08-03-2004, 11:09 PM
saga
broke college kid

Originally Posted by dave97LX
Also, I've looked for that damn grommet on the passenger side to put the power wire through and can't find it. I know these are all new-guy questions but I really appreciate the help.
Grommet where? From engine bay to interior?
Old 08-04-2004, 07:53 AM
dave97LX
is a guitar hero

yeah, from interior to engine compartment. I'm gonna get upside down with a flashlight sometime today and check it out again, but I didn't see much the first time.
Old 08-06-2004, 04:27 AM
honura
Seni

there should be a hole in the firewall. It should be covered with a rubber seal. Just pop it off and your good to go. As for mounting. You can mount it behind the back seat BUT you have to screw it in slow and as soon as it gets tight leave it alone DO NOT OVER TIGHTEN IT! as the metal behind the seat is very thin it will just strip. Goodluck.
Old 08-06-2004, 07:49 PM
dave97LX
is a guitar hero

1) I saw the rubber gasket that a bunch of wires are already passing through (above the dead pedal), is that the one I'm looking for? Also,

2)
Originally Posted by honura
You can mount it behind the back seat BUT you have to screw it in slow and as soon as it gets tight leave it alone DO NOT OVER TIGHTEN IT! as the metal behind the seat is very thin it will just strip.
So it's safe to just take a drill to the seat as is, or...

3) Would it be necessary to use a piece of wood to mount it to between the amp and seat (behind the carpeting)?

Thanks again, I appreciate it
Old 08-07-2004, 04:43 AM
honura
Seni

Either way is fine. Everyone I see just goes right to it.