Notices
Audio, Security, & Automotive Lighting Troubleshoot wiring problems and get equipment suggestions all in one place. Now expanded to include Automotive Lighting

How do I install Component Speakers in a 98 Civic Coupe EX?

Old 07-29-2004, 01:48 PM
typeg98

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do I install Component Speakers in a 98 Civic Coupe EX?

I just finished purchasing and am ready to install a new system in my 98 Civic EX Coupe.

Alpine 9827 Headunit
Alpine 6x9 Type S for the rear
Alpine 6.5" and Tweeters Components with Crossover.

Although I've never installed speakers, I'm pretty sure I can replace the rears, and I already have an existing Alpine headunit installed (Circuit City installed with harness years ago) that will be replaced as well. But the components make me nervous.

How do I go about installing the component speakers without messing anything up? Do I have to adjust for the new 6.5 size from original 5.25 stock? How do I wire it all up?

Everything is being shipped to me and I will receive tommorow so I dont have the equipment yet to study it but I have been net searching for info and now I hope someone here can help.
Old 07-29-2004, 05:35 PM
SmutWanter
"Made to Please"

You will have to cut into the rear deck probably to fit larger speakers in, and in the door panels they probably will not work unless you also cut into the frame, and hope that it doesn't interfere with the movement of the window. Am trying to figure out why you just didn't get the right size speakers, because smaller ones can also put out the same wattage output as speakers only an inch wider in diameter...
Old 07-30-2004, 08:55 AM
typeg98

Actually, the civic already comes with 6x9 stock in the rear so it should just be a simple swap. It also comes with 5.25" in the doors and 1" tweeters in the mirror mount. I've been told that to switch to the bigger 6.5" is easy because there is already space in there.

My main concern is the wiring. How do I wire up the crossover? Do I install the new speakers but use the existing wiring? How does introducing the crossover now affect how things get connected together?
Old 07-30-2004, 05:45 PM
saga
broke college kid

I suggest that if you want a nice walkthrough and technical support hit up Crutchfield. They're good for that. Send them an e-mail and tell them your car and what you bought to install and that you wanted to purchase the "free installation gear" that they would've sent you if you purchased through them. Not only will you get everything you need to make your life easier (speaker connectors that connect to stock wiring and other things) but you'll get step-by-step install instructions and they even include the phone support with just buying the install gear so you can call them free and get support while you do it every step. I did it for my car cause I've never done a component install. The total for the gear was under $30 for me. Still waiting on my head unit to arrive so I can hook it up. I think this would be an easy way for you to get everything you need at once and have on call support as well so if you encounter a problem you can get help fast rather than posting here and waiting for a response. Crutchfield is expensive for items but their customer support is definitely top notch.
Old 08-03-2004, 09:06 AM
SuperMario98Ex

Its a Biaatch to do the rear speakers. It's not hard just time consuming, you got to remove the back seats.Then remove the side panels, fold down the seats remove the wire to your brake light. Then remove the back panel. That should be it. It's simple I did mine in March.
Old 01-30-2011, 06:52 PM
darkclarity

Default Speaker installation '98 Civic

The fronts ARE 6.25" not 5.25" here is a good video walk through:

The Rear Deck 6x9s are a royal pain. You could just get med-evil on them but, most people will opt to basically gut the interior trim apart and the rear seats.
Far safer. Any ways here is a link to a text walk through with pictures.
http://2k1civic.madstatic.com/2006/0...the-rear-deck/

Good luck, order pizza because you will spend most of your day doing this wonderful job of repairing an obvious engineering over sight.