Notices
Audio, Security, & Automotive Lighting Troubleshoot wiring problems and get equipment suggestions all in one place. Now expanded to include Automotive Lighting

how to bridge ??

Old 06-18-2004, 07:52 PM
kevin20

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how to bridge ??

hey guess i currently have (2) SONY XS-L121P5 12" SUBWOOFERS with KOLE AUDIO HK980-2 980watts. i know the system are not that good...so i am calling for help to make the best out of it. can anyone help me with any SETUP that can boost the system..oh yeah and does bridge really sound better.....can someone help me bridge....Thanks all
Old 06-19-2004, 09:05 AM
93DelSolSi
♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫

bump cuz i wanna know
Old 06-20-2004, 09:04 AM
b00gers

Bridging the amp is taking 2 channels and using them as a single one. this will net "more power."

you simply take the POSITIVE from ch1 and the NEGATIVE from ch2, and it goes to your sub. but you have to keep in mind the lowest impedance the amp will take in bridge mode.
Old 06-20-2004, 09:08 AM
b00gers

that amp will do:

• Mono RMS: 560
• Bridged Max: 980

but it fails to mention if it is 2OHM stable using mono.

those subs are 4OHM SVC. so you can just hook up one to each channel and each will get 220watts. or you can risk it and wire both subs in parallel and then bridge the amp.
Old 06-20-2004, 09:40 AM
kevin20

but there will be more power if is bridge right...but do you mean my sub cant bridge ??
thanks for reply
Old 06-20-2004, 09:52 AM
b00gers

you dont bridge the subs. you bridge the amp's channels. yes bridging the amp will net more power if its the right impedance (OHMs)
Old 06-21-2004, 09:48 AM
rcurley55

WiLL, be careful!! Not all amplifiers bridge in the same manner!! Always check the manual first before you go plugging in wires.

Bridging an amplifer will not produce more power, it just produces it "differently" Lowering the impedance however can increase power, but only to a certain point. Everything in car audio is a tradeoff - as you decrease inpedance, you do increase power (generally - depending on the amp) but you also decrease stability.

That amp is probably good for a 4 ohm mono load, so I would leave it as is.
Old 06-21-2004, 02:36 PM
TTT

I'm going to hijack this thread for a second with a question... rcurley55, you said that bridging does not produce more power, only produces it differently. I'm guessing that the differently part is concerning stereo vs. mono, but can you explain why some amps have, for instance, a power rating of 100x2 @ 2 ohms and 220x1 @ 1 ohm? I've seen a few like this, that seem to create more power when bridged. Whats your take on this?
Old 06-21-2004, 02:46 PM
rcurley55

Originally Posted by TTT
I'm going to hijack this thread for a second with a question... rcurley55, you said that bridging does not produce more power, only produces it differently. I'm guessing that the differently part is concerning stereo vs. mono, but can you explain why some amps have, for instance, a power rating of 100x2 @ 2 ohms and 220x1 @ 1 ohm? I've seen a few like this, that seem to create more power when bridged. Whats your take on this?
could you show me what amp you are speaking of?

I could type out a long winded response, but I basically found it:
http://www.bcae1.com/bridging.htm

here's on quote:
"Before we go any farther let me say this... It it NOT necessary to bridge an amplifier to make it produce maximum power. Bridging is simply one option. If an amplifier is 2 ohm stereo stable (and therefore 4 ohm mono stable), it will produce the same power into a 2 ohm stereo load as it will into a 4 ohm mono load. Later, I will explain why this is. "

I'll let you read on to get more background data - typically it's a ratings issue and how the amplifier has been measured more so then bridging creating more power...
Old 07-09-2004, 02:26 PM
brand0n

lowering the impedance will create more power... you need to find out how low your amp can go ohms wise, and how many ohms your sub(s) depending on that you may be able to bridge or wire parallel

Bridged
you use the positive of post 1 and the neg of post 2 etc
parallel, you use wire normally however you run one wire to two speakers by splicing in the middle, and adding an extension, doing this the wrong way can DEFINITELY kill your amp.. but it sounds like maybe you should just go buy a jbl or something anyways, they have plenty of information on wiring their products, they work well, and theyre not very expensive at all

theres 2 cents for you

Quick Reply: how to bridge ??