Notices
Audio, Security, & Automotive Lighting Troubleshoot wiring problems and get equipment suggestions all in one place. Now expanded to include Automotive Lighting

DIY CD Player Install

Old 05-29-2004, 06:51 PM
MoreSlowthango

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DIY CD Player Install

What do most people use to connect the honda wiring kit to an after market kit? Tape, soldering?
I'm pretty sure it's just purchase an aftermarket wiring kit to connect to the honda's, connect each wire to wire and call it a day.
However, what shall I use to connect the wires?

CAS
Old 05-30-2004, 03:29 PM
rcurley55

either solder + heat shrink or solderless crimp connections
Old 06-03-2004, 06:37 PM
prelude1897

I just use black electrical tape and buy a wire harness which will make the installation alot easier/faster
Old 06-03-2004, 06:39 PM
TTT

First of all, I never buy a wiring harness, and second, I usually just use tape. I should solder or buy connectors, but I am lazy and have never ran into a problem with electrical tape and twisting the strands around.
Old 06-04-2004, 10:48 AM
MPerson

Originally Posted by TTT
First of all, I never buy a wiring harness, and second, I usually just use tape. I should solder or buy connectors, but I am lazy and have never ran into a problem with electrical tape and twisting the strands around.
:werd: the old school way :chuckles:
Old 06-04-2004, 11:35 AM
rcurley55

Originally Posted by TTT
so let me get this straight - you like hacking up cars and possibly causing fires/broken fuses - and you never consider adding the factory head back to the car when you sell it?

not a smart way to go....

generally, when people go this method, we get a thread a week later entitled "my dash lights don't work and I have a ton of fuses - what's wrong?"

Please people, do things the right way, not the half-ass way.
Old 06-04-2004, 12:28 PM
96GreenCivic

I get the harness and solder/ shrink tube to the new HU. I don't think twisting and tape gives the best connection. Do it right the 1st time.
Old 06-04-2004, 03:41 PM
TTT

Originally Posted by rcurley55
so let me get this straight - you like hacking up cars and possibly causing fires/broken fuses - and you never consider adding the factory head back to the car when you sell it?

not a smart way to go....

generally, when people go this method, we get a thread a week later entitled "my dash lights don't work and I have a ton of fuses - what's wrong?"

Please people, do things the right way, not the half-ass way.
I don't understand how I would cause a fire or blow fuses. Before I start I always disconnect the battery. I hook everything up and I use plenty electrical tape so it never comes undone. Please tell me how I could start a fire if I disconnect the battery and the electrical tape never comes undone. Must suck for those people who's car doesn't have a wiring harness... they won't be able to have an aftermarket head unit without a high risk of fuses blowing.

Also, I don't see why I couldn't put the stock head unit back in the same way I took it out.
Old 06-04-2004, 06:02 PM
rcurley55

Originally Posted by TTT
I don't understand how I would cause a fire or blow fuses. Before I start I always disconnect the battery. I hook everything up and I use plenty electrical tape so it never comes undone. Please tell me how I could start a fire if I disconnect the battery and the electrical tape never comes undone. Must suck for those people who's car doesn't have a wiring harness... they won't be able to have an aftermarket head unit without a high risk of fuses blowing.

Also, I don't see why I couldn't put the stock head unit back in the same way I took it out.

You are trying to tell me that electrical tape never comes undone....please...I've been around too long to believe that statement.

Pretty simple, one of those wires can easily become undone, and ground out causing problems.

If you cut the factory plug off, that means you have to do the whole rigging scenario with the electrical tape - AGAIN - to put it back in there.

Twisting wires together and using tape to hold them together is what hacks do - you can do it properly, just as fast, and it will be safe and won't ever come apart using a harness and some solderless terminals.

There is the situation where a harness is not available, in that situation proper termination is what you should use, not a lot of electrical tape...

I guess some people believe in half-assing it and not taking pride in their work...do what ever makes you feel happy

I guess I've always lived by the rule that if it's worth doing, it's worth doing right. I'm not trying to pick on you or anything, it's just that I hate it when people half ass stuff when it's so easy to do things neatly...

Last edited by rcurley55; 06-04-2004 at 06:10 PM.
Old 06-04-2004, 07:48 PM
TTT

Well, I guess we will agree to disagree. You do it your way and I'll do it mine. In all the installs I've done I've yet to have a problem with it, and I'm pretty confident that it will stay that way. Sure, soldering and crimping will give a better connection and look cleaner, but I believe twist and tape (alot of tape) is just fine too.

edit: And yes I take pride in my work, just not things like head unit installs... any random kid could install a head unit, thats like taking pride in making it to work on time today.

Quick Reply: DIY CD Player Install