Notices
Audio, Security, & Automotive Lighting Troubleshoot wiring problems and get equipment suggestions all in one place. Now expanded to include Automotive Lighting

Should I attempt myself?

Old 05-11-2004, 04:26 PM
lindsj

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Should I attempt myself?

I am thinking about doing a newhead unit and speakers on my 2000 teg. Currently the car has all stock, but I need more fun.

Here is my delemma: I am probably just mechanically inclined enough to do the job or really get myself in trouble. I popped the door panel off today, and it look pretty easy to put in some nice component speakers. So I was thinking of getting a head unit and component speakers and doing the job myself.

On the other hand, I can take my car to Car Toys or Tweeters, and get them to do everything (but I won't get the same quality component, since I have to $ them to do the install)

What is the best route: Buy an Alpine CDA-9825 Head unit ($200 Crutchfield) and Infinity Reference 6000cs 6-1/2" Component speakers ($200 Crutchfild) and do it all myself and loose a weekend day to the project, OR go to a shop and pay $400 - $500 for a lesser system but have it installed by someone else?

Any opinions are appreciated, but I am pretty partial to the Alpine head unit, but not so partial to the infinity stuff. Am open to suggestions, but remember, this is my wife's car, so I can't screw it up!
Old 05-11-2004, 04:35 PM
lindsj

Just a little more info:

I want something like the infinity speakers, so that in a year when the car becomes mine (she will get a new SUV) I can up the system to amplified speakers and move my amp/sub system to the teg....

Am trying to plan this the best way I can.....

Thanks
Old 05-11-2004, 11:28 PM
integranation
slowly catching up...

If your not 100% sure you can do the install yourself then you shouldn't really be doing it. You would hate yourself if you screwed up your door panels trying to mount the tweets and that's just one of the ways that things could get messed up.

Personally I don't think installing car audio/video equipment is very hard, but I didn't just jump right in and do it either. I read a lot and watched others to learn the tricks of the trade before I attempted an install myself. Why don't you just put it off for a couple months or so until you have a little more cash and can get the quality system that you want and still have it prefessionally installed? Hope this helps...enjoy the new system
Old 05-11-2004, 11:50 PM
phat99accord
BMW Tech

it shouldnt be that much at those stores to install

at PC Richards where i work and install stuff there we charge
deck $45
Pair of speakers $35(for components im not really sure i only did it for a friend and co-worker and he paid 50% of the total i think it was 25 after discount so figure $50 for components)
Old 05-11-2004, 11:51 PM
phat99accord
BMW Tech

the thing w/ a pro job is if they fcuk up the door panel they order you a new one
Old 05-12-2004, 04:12 AM
lindsj

'99accord,

do you mean that you charge $45 for installing a deck someone brings in? Or that is the install price on something purchased from your store? I could spend $100 on an install of Deck + Components, but I thought I would have to buy the marked up decks from the retain store, and I was wanting something with higher quality....

Thanks for the help so far
Old 05-12-2004, 06:38 AM
phat99accord
BMW Tech

if someone wants to bring it in then they can
not neccessary to buy at my store
although the 45 dosnt include wireharness and dash kit thats an additional 35max
Old 05-12-2004, 06:57 AM
pnthr30

First of all, although Cruthfield has THE best customer service I have ever had to deal with (and they give you the correct brackets, harnesses, etc.) they are by no means a place where you can get a "good" deal (pricewise). For example, I got the same Infinity component speakers you want (Reference 6000 CS) for $115 which included shipping (they were brand new in the box) from Sounddomain.com (they pricematched). I was very pleased with them - in fact, one of the speakers had a slight tear in the woofer that I didn't notice till I had them installed. I called them, sent them back, and they quickly sent me a new one - overall a great experience. What I am getting at is if you are looking to save a few bucks you can do better than Cruthfield. However, if you want the piece of mind knowing that they will be there to answer questions, help you out, give you all the right parts, stand behind their products, etc. go with Cruthfield.

Secondly, I would suggest doing the work yourself. Everyone has to start somewhere, might as well start now. What you are trying to do is not that hard, it just takes some planning and reading to get it done right the first time. I am by no means an expert, but I was able to put in a HU, components, two amps, etc. and it all sounds and looks good. If you want some help, or have some questions, give me a PM or just ask on the board (or other boards). There is a lot of information out there, you just have to find it. By the way, if you put those Infinity's in the front, you are going to need to make a spacer out of MDF to clear the window (not hard). Good luck man!
Old 05-12-2004, 07:22 AM
lindsj

I think for $85 difference, I will go with Sounddomain.com. Do you know if Sounddomain sends any install instructions or spec sheets like Crutchfield does?

** OK Clue me in **

Sounddomain advertises the speakers at $199, same as Crutchfield. Where did you show them a price match at $115?
Old 05-12-2004, 08:30 AM
pnthr30

I had to email them a link to a different site that I found the best price at. They check it out to make sure it is legit and give you a "discount" code. And no, they don't give you an instruction sheet like Crutchfield.

Edit:

Here is the info on Sounddomain price matching...
Sounddomain Price Matching

Here is the cheapest I could find them for right now (very quick search, you may be able to do better)
$138.25
http://www.techronics.com/index.cfm?...=422&aff=45847
$139.00
http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAu...roductID=13349
$129.99
http://store.yahoo.com/discave/60in6carcosy.html
$117.65
http://store.yahoo.com/lgdsuperstore/ref6000cs.html

epinions
and
pricegrabber
are good places to start when looking for good prices. Also, ebay gives you a general idea of what the "market" is for certain items.

Quick Reply: Should I attempt myself?