Notices
Audio, Security, & Automotive Lighting Troubleshoot wiring problems and get equipment suggestions all in one place. Now expanded to include Automotive Lighting

HELP!! AMP/Speaker connection question

Old 04-06-2004, 04:41 PM
fpl111

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP!! AMP/Speaker connection question

just hooked up my amp to my rear speakers, it is a profile cl600 amp and the speakers are polk db690. my problem is that no sounds comes out of my speakers, i have the rca to the head unit with the remote amp wire to the power control wire on the head unit which is supposed to turn on the amp as the head unit turns on. what can be wrong with my connection? is it the ground, the power the RCAS? i have tried em all... thanks please reply with any suggestions
Old 04-06-2004, 05:26 PM
H22accordR
H22accordr

Default Help with install

Originally Posted by fpl111
just hooked up my amp to my rear speakers, it is a profile cl600 amp and the speakers are polk db690. my problem is that no sounds comes out of my speakers, i have the rca to the head unit with the remote amp wire to the power control wire on the head unit which is supposed to turn on the amp as the head unit turns on. what can be wrong with my connection? is it the ground, the power the RCAS? i have tried em all... thanks please reply with any suggestions
Is the power light on? if its not on its either the power cable, remote wire, or ground, if the power is on the the level might be down or bad connections on the speaker wires. also my friend asked me to check out his amp cuz he was getting any sound and he had the rca hooked up to the pass output, check all the stuff, my amp quit once because i ran the remote wire under my seat and when i moved my seat it got cut
Old 04-06-2004, 08:01 PM
fpl111

Originally Posted by H22accordR
Is the power light on? if its not on its either the power cable, remote wire, or ground, if the power is on the the level might be down or bad connections on the speaker wires. also my friend asked me to check out his amp cuz he was getting any sound and he had the rca hooked up to the pass output, check all the stuff, my amp quit once because i ran the remote wire under my seat and when i moved my seat it got cut
exactly, the power light does not turn on but the protectio light does and also what did you mean by the RCA to the pass output? (how do i check this) thanks
Old 04-06-2004, 08:22 PM
TTT

If your protection light is on it is probably your ground. Make sure you have a solid ground point, and sand away any paint that might be there.
Old 04-06-2004, 08:41 PM
H22accordR
H22accordr

Default protect light

Originally Posted by TTT
If your protection light is on it is probably your ground. Make sure you have a solid ground point, and sand away any paint that might be there.
if the ground was bad it wouldnt light up at all if the protect light is on it means wires are touching or its overheating
Old 04-06-2004, 08:54 PM
fpl111

Default also, regarding RCA's

is a specific end of the RCA's for the amp and for the headunit? like i have the L shaped ones to the amp and the straight ones to the head unit is this correct?
Old 04-06-2004, 08:58 PM
fpl111

Default grounding

what wires could be touching that shouldn't be touching that could cause this? i have the remote & power down one side and the rca's down the other. and my ground at the moment is right below a flap in the trunk just above where the spare tire flap is, there is a metal circle there which i have loosened one of the screws and grounded it there. what would be an ideal ground in the trunk of an accord coupe 99
Old 04-06-2004, 09:17 PM
TTT

Originally Posted by H22accordR
if the ground was bad it wouldnt light up at all if the protect light is on it means wires are touching or its overheating
A bad ground can cause voltage drops which would force the amp into protection mode.
Old 04-07-2004, 05:18 AM
fpl111

Originally Posted by TTT
A bad ground can cause voltage drops which would force the amp into protection mode.
well the amp is brand new and never been used so I don think overheating would be the problem so I guess it leaves the ground
Old 04-08-2004, 07:54 PM
KuttinEdge

protection mode may not be overheating, often has to do with current draw. I am not sure if i am understanding the post correctly. RCA to headunit and remote power to the headunit. The amp needs 3 connections for power and a signal from RCAs. Ground-from amp to chasis// Power wire- fused directly from battery to amp// and the remote wire- 12V with very little current from headunit to amp, this wire is usally blue and goes from the headunit to the REM connection on the amp. Each of these has a seperate terminal on the amp.

Quick Reply: HELP!! AMP/Speaker connection question