Notices
Audio, Security, & Automotive Lighting Troubleshoot wiring problems and get equipment suggestions all in one place. Now expanded to include Automotive Lighting

battery or alternator

Old 02-16-2004, 09:09 AM
sharktlp

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default battery or alternator

I have a 93 civic ex coupe manual. I recently installed 2 6X9 240 watts each and 4 6 1/2's. Their powered by 2 amps one is 400 watts with 4 channels and one 300 watts with two channels. I also have 2 10" subs in the back. After the installation when i turned the headlights on the cars light would dim and ligth back up if i hit the gas. After this happened I had to boost my car to start the next time. After this I stopped using my radio and this stopped happening for a few days. Then if i turn on my headlights it started to happen again. Is it my battery alternator or both?
Old 02-16-2004, 10:50 AM
Spyfunkr

It can be either or both or other things also, but most likely the alternator. To test for your alternator, start you car and disconnect the positive terminal on the battery. If your car cuts off, you need a new alternator.

Spy
Old 02-16-2004, 12:22 PM
sharktlp

Originally Posted by Spyfunkr
It can be either or both or other things also, but most likely the alternator. To test for your alternator, start you car and disconnect the positive terminal on the battery. If your car cuts off, you need a new alternator.

Spy
thanks im a try that right now
Old 02-16-2004, 12:52 PM
sharktlp

I disconnected the positive terminal from the battery and the car didnt turn off. If its not the alternator than what is it? Why the lights dim and the car almost cuts off till i hit the gas?
Old 02-16-2004, 02:57 PM
Spyfunkr

Originally Posted by sharktlp
I disconnected the positive terminal from the battery and the car didnt turn off. If its not the alternator than what is it? Why the lights dim and the car almost cuts off till i hit the gas?
Do a search in this forum for "battery" "alternator" "dim" and youll find a long thread about this stuff. Bottom line, your amps are sucking more power than you're producing - need more.
Old 02-17-2004, 01:05 AM
dlh1999
Runs with scissors.

Keep in mind that your alternator keeps your battery charged. If the battery/alternator can't keep up with your system, you'll probably want to check into a higher output alternator. Your lights will become brighter once you hit the gas because doing so will speed up the belt driving the alternator, producing a bit more power to the battery.
Old 02-17-2004, 05:07 PM
sharktlp

So can it be my alternator belt thats damaged or maybe my battery does it neccasarily have to be my alternator?
Old 02-17-2004, 07:27 PM
Spyfunkr

Your probably drawing an extra 20 to 30 amps over what your stock system was designed for. Even if you had brand new stock power components (engine, alternator, battery, etc.), you still would come up short. So, you need a stronger battery, probably an upgraded altenator and a cap to supplement the bass hits. But, is all this necessary to cure dimming lights? I've never heard of anyone claiming damage from adding a system, but you probably dont have very good overall electrical performance.

Spy
Old 02-17-2004, 10:05 PM
dlh1999
Runs with scissors.

I would recommend a capacitor AFTER you replace battery/alternator. If you're already having electrical issues, the cap would be just another draw causing problems. I had a Nissan pickup a few years back that had the same problem, and a capacitor only made things worse until I replaced the battery and uninstalled an amp.
Old 02-17-2004, 10:10 PM
dlh1999
Runs with scissors.

Originally Posted by sharktlp
So can it be my alternator belt thats damaged or maybe my battery does it neccasarily have to be my alternator?
It's not your alternator belt...it's either the alternator, or battery, or both.

Here's a really brief example of what's going on: Say your alternator puts out 70 amps or so. This is enough to keep the battery charged with the car running, lights on, heater on, etc. However, it isn't enough to power those things, AND a large stereo system. Say that everything in your car takes 60 amps to run, leaving you 10 amps to keep the battery charged. When you install a decent stereo, say it takes 50 amps to run. So with your car running and lights on, plus the stereo going, your alternator is working harder to keep the battery charged because of the extra draw of power. This will eventually lead to the alternator dying, and probably slowly killing the battery as well. Getting a better quality battery and high-output alternator should solve the problem.

Quick Reply: battery or alternator