Notices
Audio, Security, & Automotive Lighting Troubleshoot wiring problems and get equipment suggestions all in one place. Now expanded to include Automotive Lighting

Dynamat. Paying for the name?

Old 01-20-2004, 06:25 PM
KuttinEdge

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dynamat. Paying for the name?

Im looking into sound deadening/dampening the interior of my car. Dynamat is probably the best known companies to make this material for car audio. However, I have noticed that there is a lot of other companies that make this material and sell it for less. Also there are some products that can be found at local stores like Home Depot or Lowes that are used on roofs that are very similar(if not identical) to Dynamat. There is something called Peel and Seal that I went out looking for today that was supposed to be good and costs a lot less (Didnt find it). This stuff is used for sealing up roofs on aluminum sheds and mobile homes. If anybody has input on some of the other sound dampening materials, let me know.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
cpyfrnttiresmall.jpg (23.0 KB, 81 views)
Old 01-21-2004, 05:47 AM
Josher

I'd suggest brown bread. It was reviewed in Honda Tuning and I used it on my Integra. I think the brown bread helped my car. Visit http://www.b-quiet.com/ for more information.
Old 01-21-2004, 07:09 AM
honura
Seni

YEP !
Old 01-21-2004, 08:20 AM
Falkon
still alive

I've heard brown bread is crap compared to dynamat extreme.
Old 01-21-2004, 02:50 PM
Josher

I hadn't heard that. The Brown Bread website even offers a comparison of Brown Bread and Dynamat and even sells Dynamat. Brown Bread gains respect with me since they post Dynamat's Technical Specifications on their website in contrast to Brown Bread. And the Specs listed on the Brown Bread site for Dynamat are exactly the same as the Specs listed on the Dynamat site. I've got no complaints about Brown Bread. My only issue is that I didn't buy enough, and couldn't sound deaden my doors. And guess what rattles in my car now? Only the doors.

Thanks.
Old 01-21-2004, 02:54 PM
A_D
Reset?

www.secondskinaudio.com
Old 01-22-2004, 08:05 PM
arch iceman

The main thing to pay attention to with sound deadening material is the adhesive properties. Alot of material out there isnt made to be applied to the roof or trunk lid because of the adhesive the manufacturer uses.

Im a former Dynamat rep, own a demo vehicle, and built several of their demo vehicles, so I might be a little biased. Dynamat does spend alot of R&D in their adhesives. I will say Dynamat Extreme is the most adhesive of the bunch, and working with it over several days in a row did result in some painful skin loss on my fingertips.

When applying the material to your roof, use a heat gun and you must roll the material with a roller to be effective. Otherwise it will eventually sag on its own, and this whole process would be pointless.

With the Dynamat vehicles I used Dynamat Extreme heated and rolled onto the roofs. Then I also used Dynaliner fixed onto the back of the headliner with spray adhesive. Its pretty thick and makes the headliner a little difficult to get back in, but the dampening is worth it. Most of the vehicles I treated like this, showed significant improvements. Imagine driving in the rain and the only noise you hear is the rain drops hitting the glass.
Old 01-23-2004, 05:44 AM
Spyfunkr

I agree with the iceman here. Deadening material is deadening material. Compare to whats in your car now, its a huge improvement to use anything. The difference between brands is negligable - except where adhesive is concerned. Dynamat will pull your fingertips off, Ive never used Brown Bead, but if it sticks well(and of course you use a roller to install it) then it'll be fine. When you're doing a whole car, you can really save some dough over Dynamat, but start with one section and see how it does.

Spy
Old 01-23-2004, 07:08 AM
Josher

I didn't use a roller when I installed the brown bread and its been installed for about a year now. I recently had to remove my whole interior from the rear seats back to find a hatch leak, and all the brown bread was still in its original location (Sides and floor). Believe me, Brown Bread has good adhesion. Just remember to clean wherever you're going to apply the brown bread or whatever material you're using with some alcohol or mineral spirits.