Notices
Audio, Security, & Automotive Lighting Troubleshoot wiring problems and get equipment suggestions all in one place. Now expanded to include Automotive Lighting

I need an amp....

Old 01-09-2004, 11:02 AM
Fly Rice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I need an amp....

Alright, Just recently got my 98 Prelude...

I am planning my subwoofer install soon, and I need some advice...

I just bought 2 Rockford Fosgate HX2 Subwoofers and now I need an amp to power them...

The HX2 has a 1000W limit and a recommended max of 500W. I plan to run them at 500W a piece and need a good amp. The subs are dual 4ohm (?)

I am going to bridge the subs as to get more power, so theoretically I only need a 500Wx1 at 4ohms amp right? Most likely and amp with these specs, 1000W max, 500x1@4ohms, 250x2@4ohms I guess?

What do I need to get 500Watts powered to each sub, If I plan on bridging the subs? (good idea?)

Also, I am looking at Rockford Fosgate Amps (nothing too expensive, I want something that will do 500 per sub, single channel if possible)

Here's what I'm looking at right now
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=3069038167

Thanks,
Sean
Old 01-11-2004, 08:32 AM
VRGNCD5
cause it's tight!

Let me clarify a few things first:

The HX2 has a MAX of 1000watts(which is pretty much meaningless) and a recommended RMS of 500watts.

If you want to give them 500 rms, you're gonna have to get an amp that will do one of the following:

Put out 500 rms x 1ch @2 ohms bridged
-you'd need two of these amps, with the coils on the subs wired in paralell and bridged to the amp and it would have to be stable to 2ohms bridged.

Put out 250 rms x 2ch @4 ohms stereo
-pretty self explanatory, again you'd need two of these

Put out 1000 rms x 1ch @ 4ohms bridged
-you'd only need one of these. You'd wired your coils on each sub in series, giving you an 8ohm load on each sub, then wire the subs in paralell giving you a final impedance of 4ohms mono. Most amps are rated to 4ohms mono so that won't be a problem, but because it's gonna need to put out 1000 rms, it will be pricey.
Old 01-14-2004, 01:43 AM
97teg

my opinion is to jsut buy one amp first. See how the subs run getting 250 a piece. If you don't need more then great less money. Then if you want more get another identical amp and run one to each sub so youll have 500 to both subs. Keep im mind the more power you run to the subs the more of a strain your putting on your electrical system.

I would not reccomend running the left channel to a voice coil and the right to the other voice coil. If thats what was suggested in the middle. (wasn't sure). If there is any channel imbalance at all the sub is going to be fighting itslef and not sound good or even blow.

Make sure if the subs are 4 ohm dual voice coils. If its different it will affect your choices. The options will be a bit different.
Old 01-14-2004, 05:44 AM
Surfacing171
cb7 fanatic

If they are going to be sealed, get a JBL 1200.1 and be careful with the gains
Old 01-14-2004, 09:51 PM
arch iceman

Simply put, it doesnt hurt to buy the stronger amp you can afford. If youre looking at RF get an amp that will bridge to 1000w. Im not sure about the impedence of your subs, but it sounds like VRGNCD5 is already familiar with them.