Notices
Audio, Security, & Automotive Lighting Troubleshoot wiring problems and get equipment suggestions all in one place. Now expanded to include Automotive Lighting

subwoofers and amps

Old 01-02-2004, 08:29 PM
raiden571
turning u inside out

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default subwoofers and amps

does anyone have any suggestion for a decent system subs and amp. i have about 400 to work with, i know it isnt much, but it is what i have
Old 01-02-2004, 11:53 PM
Falkon
still alive

Amp - JL, Phoenix Gold, Alpine

Get the mono amps.

What kind of subs do you want?

1 12"
2 10"
1 15"
2 12"

For the sake of guessing I'm going to 1 15"

Check out this one
http://adireaudio.com/mobile_audio/drivers/tempest.htm

This is a very highly rated sub. Very high quality, low distortion, etc. Another to check out would be a Mmats Procast.
Old 01-04-2004, 04:39 PM
Rycechyk

Tell me about what kinda music you listen to: rap? rock? techno? Do you want really tight bump or low rumbles?

Yeah, your budget is small, but look for deals. I have JL subs (2 10w3v2s) and a Rockford amp (451s). The subs I got on clearance for $300. I love the subs, most will tell you the same thing. So maybe you can go with a step down in subs and a less-overpriced amp, and you'll be kinda close to your price range. These guys can recommend some other lesser known, better value priced stuff, but I do love mine.
Old 01-04-2004, 04:49 PM
Shore 96 Teg
I miss my 93 VTEC Lude :(

well u should be spending ATLEAST 100 bucks on wires so that leaves you 300 for amp and sub. Do it right the first time...it'll save you money. My advice is to save up atleast twice what you have now and get some nice ish.

btw I work at Circuit City in car audio and i havent ever priced out a COMPLETE system (wires, sub and amp) for under 400. even the cheap crap we have costs mroe than that. But hey u can find deals on the internet just be careful from where and whom you buy from.
Old 01-04-2004, 05:11 PM
Rycechyk

Originally posted by Shore 96 Teg
well u should be spending ATLEAST 100 bucks on wires so that leaves you 300 for amp and sub. Do it right the first time...it'll save you money. My advice is to save up atleast twice what you have now and get some nice ish.
Yeah, I was gonna mention the wiring. I spent $120 on mine, cuz I didn't want that to be a weak point in a decent system. And while we're at it, is your $400 budget before or after tax?

and I do kinda have to agree with saving until you can get better stuff - that's what I did, I spent $1000 on my whole system including speakers, headunit, amp and subs. Now, it's hardly top of the line, but it's still really nice. You'll probably be happier, but some people will tell you that they're still happy with the cheap stuff - it's your money, your decision. Depends on how much of a priority it is for ya.
Old 01-04-2004, 06:46 PM
rcurley55

hehe, I spent over 600 on my wiring...ouch!
Old 01-04-2004, 07:59 PM
mitsurugi

Default Re: subwoofers and amps

Originally posted by raiden571
does anyone have any suggestion for a decent system subs and amp. i have about 400 to work with, i know it isnt much, but it is what i have
I say save up some more so you can get a nicer set-up. Also, expand on what type of sound you are looking for. Are you trying to blow your eardrums out or do you just want a clean sounding bass?

Originally posted by rcurley55
hehe, I spent over 600 on my wiring...ouch!
:ibsomeonewhothinksyouareacrazywiringguy:

Old 01-06-2004, 07:28 AM
honura
Seni

Dahm you people gotta come to N.Y. and go to china town ! GOOD complete wiring less then $50 . Amps , subs , ext CHEAP !
Old 01-06-2004, 10:20 PM
Falkon
still alive

You get what you pay for. What is a good wire company? Monster or Stinger?
Old 01-06-2004, 10:25 PM
rcurley55

The reason I spent so much is that I'm runing a lot of fusing, and have rewired everything power related under the hood. Add in 5 sets of RCA's and some optical cable, and you can easily hit 600 - and I went with Stinger's cheapest line (except for their Expert RCA's)

As for wire....you can get good results from knukonceptz....generally, it's all the same. I like the following companies:

Singer
Monster
Streetwires
Tiff
Lightning Audio
Phoenix Gold

IXOS is a great line, but expensive...then you get into super expensive like Kimber or MIT....

I think any of the mid line companies make good stuff. What you are looking for is nice connectors, well machined brass pieces, high strand count in wires, and most importantly....something that fits your install needs. And guess what...looks is a big part too.

I wouldn't put too much stock in what power wires you use...hell, some people get theirs from welding supply stores.