Notices
Audio, Security, & Automotive Lighting Troubleshoot wiring problems and get equipment suggestions all in one place. Now expanded to include Automotive Lighting

alarm recomendations

Old 01-02-2004, 01:25 PM
Ferio Man

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default alarm recomendations

i know nothing about alarms really....cept the complete basics

im on a semi budget, about 400-500 bucks
im not at a high risk 90% of the time but occasionally ill be in a really bad area

i drive a '95 civic sedan

so any recommendations? price range? functions...etc

let me know if u need mroe info
Old 01-02-2004, 08:26 PM
Technodigifreak
Hot-Modder

i like my viper alarm, $260 installed at the local autosound shop

i more than likely could have installed it myself for a lot cheaper, but i just wanted it done and done right
Old 01-02-2004, 08:38 PM
Ferio Man

ya i doubt ill install it myself....just in case...cause im bit off on electronics...just varoom parts
Old 01-02-2004, 11:41 PM
Falkon
still alive

Originally posted by Technodigifreak
i like my viper alarm, $260 installed at the local autosound shop

i more than likely could have installed it myself for a lot cheaper, but i just wanted it done and done right
Yes, get a viper. If you can, go ahead and buy a DEI proximity sensor on ebay and have them install it with the alarm. Trust me, it's all worth it.
Old 01-05-2004, 11:41 AM
billscivic00

If you are willing to spend 400 and dont want to install, goto circuit city, they have a viper alarm there for 400 installed i think. Has the 3 motion sensors, one for your trunk, motor, and in the cabin. Has a pager with a display screen on it and glass sensor. My buddy works there and had one installed on his car, says it is well worth money. Can have your windows down and if someone reaches in the window/sunroof it will go off.
Old 01-11-2004, 11:41 PM
arch iceman

I always reccomend Clifford and use them personally. It really depends on the features youre looking for. Youve got a great budget set aside for a good alarm system installed.

Clifford is now owned as part of the DEI/Viper family, so the new Clifford systems share the same sensors. Most of the systems include a dual stage proximity sensor. You can add a motion tilt sensor, glass break sensor, and back up battery for extra security without going over that budget. Depending on your local dealer prices you might even be able to get a remote start sytem for your budget, just shop around.

The main thing about an alarm is its installation. The alarm is only as good as its installation. Proper siren placement, secure and concealed alarm brain placement, proper wiring techniques.

Feel free to ask any potential dealer for a demonstration of another customers car they might happen to have there. Installers typically put a little extra care and detail into thier own cars or shop demo cars. Ask about a warranty, what to do if the alarm malfunctions and you are alone in a parking lot.

Also call your insurance company for a checklist of requirements to qualify for a discount by purchasing an alarm. This checklist will also help you to decide what extra features and sensors to upgrade for higher discounts on your insurance.
Old 01-11-2004, 11:54 PM
VRGNCD5
cause it's tight!

welcome back arch iceman! You've been MIA for quite a while now.

I too recommend Clifford, I've got a high end model on my car and it's great.
Old 01-12-2004, 12:15 AM
arch iceman

Originally posted by VRGNCD5
welcome back arch iceman! You've been MIA for quite a while now.

I too recommend Clifford, I've got a high end model on my car and it's great.
Thanks. Ive been back for a month but Im still settling in and Im still on middle eastern time. So I'll probably be contributing off and on at nights.

As far as the Clifford reccomendations, I would look into the Intelleguard series, Concept series, or maybe a Solaris if youre interested in a remote start feature.
Old 01-12-2004, 02:57 PM
Ferio Man

thanks arch...good to see u back..i was hoping ud post a reply...but i didnt knwo if u were home yet or not

thanks again ill look into it
Old 01-30-2004, 10:46 AM
SOHKeg

go w/the Clifford RSX 3.5 it's a dei product which is based on the old viper systems. it comes w/a 2way remote, remote start, everything you could want just short of a proxy sensor. there's a shop in falls church called cellcom that can give it to you installed for under $500 depending on everything you want done. call them for more info and pricing Mon-Sat. 10-6 (703)538-2500