Notices
Audio, Security, & Automotive Lighting Troubleshoot wiring problems and get equipment suggestions all in one place. Now expanded to include Automotive Lighting

speaker set up

Old 12-14-2003, 01:17 PM
Xplicid01

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default speaker set up

i have a 99 civic ex sedan stock auido. I dont want the added wieght of subs, so i was thinking about getting some whoofers. i want clean sound, im not hudge on bass that makes my car shake. my friend is a x-file distributor so i was think about getting a xcd550mp... http://www.x-fileaudio.com/product_detail.php?pId=2.. for some info on deck. neone kno the price for one of these? i dont if im getting a good deal or not. i was thinking about using that for the speaker amp for the front 2 speakers.(60X4). for the front to speakers my friend has CDT CL-61a which i thinks a deal and a half, my other friend said DLs are the best speakers. what do u guys think?? for the full range speakers i was thinking about CDT CL-6x, dont kno if they will work in my car, because the speakers are near the headrests up ontop in the back seat. would i need an amp to power the back?
thx for info
Old 12-15-2003, 05:26 AM
prodigalson

CDT Audio is a good choice. I bought the CL-61a's and the CL-6X's for my 92 Civic DX...The CL-6X's are a "Rear Fill" and as such do not need an amp. I'm running mine off of my HU and they sound good. The CL-61A's definately need to be amped. As far as fitment, I had to do minor mods to get the rears to fit (Drill new holes in rear deck) but the fronts will require a bit more mods. I had to use a 1" spacer and do a little chopping. The stock depth is 2" and the Cl-61a's are 2 7/8"...Hope this helps...
Old 12-15-2003, 11:54 AM
SiClone
X-Moder8er

I've never heard of X-file audio. That's a new one....
Old 12-15-2003, 12:00 PM
rcurley55

I have a general rule - NEVER buy amplifiers from a company who lists MAX power.

The site has very limited information - that bugs me - ALOT
Old 12-15-2003, 05:45 PM
Xplicid01

ya the limted info on the site is bugging me 2. for the amp i was thinking of SOUND STREAM RUB500-1 1 Channel Car Amplifier(http://store.yahoo.com/discave/rusost1chcar.html).

prodigalson the rear speakers where the easier of the two.. y? i though the front spekers might be the ones needing little moding, i though the front ones wit fit in just not look to nice.. and the rear would be more difficult of the 2... does neone kno how long the cdt CL-61a will last at that price?? keep the info coming thx so far
Old 12-16-2003, 04:23 AM
prodigalson

Well, I have a different generation Civic, so I don't know how much help this will be..For the back speakers I lined up a few of the holes that I could and drilled new ones as needed. Autozone had speaker connector adaptors for $3, which I used as I'm not crazy about cutting things if I don't have to. As for the front, I cut a hole for the tweeters near the top of the door panel and inserted them. The panel is kind of thick so the retaining (snap ring) they give you would not snap all of the way in, so I glued it. For the 6.5" you have to run new wires so you can amp it. Running the wires can be a pain, because I was not able to find existing holes in door and jamb and so had to drill them, and then insert a rubber grommet to protect the wires. The crossover I mounted in the armrest cavity (It fit nicely). Use some tape to hold it where you think it should be and try putting the panel back on...If its ok, then your good to go...If not, then reposition it and try again. I used a 1" speaker spacer from Scoche to get the speaker to fit without cutting the basket it sits in. That basket is intended to keep water off of your speaker, which will help it to last longer, and cutting it would not give me a whole lot more room anyways (maybe 0.25") If you cut it, which is fine, you may still need a spacer to keep the magnet from interfering with the window. If you're not sure, put the window down and see how its fitting. Since the speaker was sitting an inch further into the vehicle than stock I could not use the OEM grilles and instead used the ones that came with the speakers. I have a small gap between the speaker opening in the door and the CDT grill but it doesn't look bad and I'll fix it soon..