Notices
Audio, Security, & Automotive Lighting Troubleshoot wiring problems and get equipment suggestions all in one place. Now expanded to include Automotive Lighting

change to play cd-r's

Old 12-12-2003, 12:59 PM
randomtask77
Wanderer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default change to play cd-r's

Is there a way to change a headunit that doesn't play cd-r's to be able to play cd-r's? I have an older model kenwood and I'd like to be able to play cd-r's on it. Is this even possible, or is it gonna come down to "just buy a new headunit"?
Old 12-12-2003, 01:31 PM
SumAccordGuy94
Older Honda Fanatic

...buy a new headunit. Theres no way to make an older headunit read CD-Rs, as it would require changing the laser, and I highly doubt you'll find one that will fit AND play CD-Rs.
Old 12-13-2003, 12:58 AM
randomtask77
Wanderer

Originally posted by SumAccordGuy94
...buy a new headunit. Theres no way to make an older headunit read CD-Rs, as it would require changing the laser, and I highly doubt you'll find one that will fit AND play CD-Rs.
I was afraid of that... :sad:
Old 12-13-2003, 03:32 AM
SumAccordGuy94
Older Honda Fanatic

...depending on the headunit, you may be able to add a changer that will play CD-Rs... you may want to look into that, and maybe find one on ebay for $50 or so.

Older cd players dont have the ability to read through the darker coating on CD-Rs, and the only way around that would be to upgrade to a newer laser, but finding one that will fit and work properly would be an endless battle, chances are the only one that would fit and work, would be the same one thats in there. Even with the laser being new, it still wouldnt read the discs, it'd still be the same laser.

For $160 brand new, you can find a good to excelent quality headunit that will be capable of playing CD-Rs. This includes Alpine's entry level unit.

Depending on your car, you may also want to look into an OEM CD player... they can usually be had for fairly cheap, the sound quality wont be as good as most aftermarket units... but its just a suggestion, i'm not sure what your musical tastes are and how you like it to sound.