Notices
Audio, Security, & Automotive Lighting Troubleshoot wiring problems and get equipment suggestions all in one place. Now expanded to include Automotive Lighting

Amp Kit

Old 11-30-2003, 02:39 PM
nfg05

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Amp Kit

Right now I've got a Kenwood MPV-7019 head unit with a pair of Infinity Kappa 6.5" coaxials being powered by a sony 80W x 2 RMS amp. I'm looking to upgrade the rear 6 x 9's and add a sub next. I'm probably going to get the Rockford Fosgate Power 851X amp 110 x 4 RMS, and Infinity Reference 6 x 9 3 way 100W RMS speakers. Next, I'm thinking about bridging the final two channels to get about 220W RMS power into 1 channel at 4 ohms. What sub would you recommend to complete the package? If I got a dual voice coil sub, could I wire it to present a 2 ohm load to the amp and get 440W RMS power? Would it be safe to do this and could the amp handle it? Secondly, I'm looking at a 4 gauge amp kit for all of this and my main question is how many RCA's am I going to need because I could save around $30 going with a kit that only includes one rca. Ideally, I'd want the Rockford passing the signal to the sony through the preamp output (I think?) because the Rockford's a better overall amp. What all am I going to need to do this and are two RCA's going to be necessary? One last question, I know I'm going to need a 60 amp fuse for this what does that mean and is an 80 amp fuse better or worse? What do the numbers mean? Any help is appreciated thanks.
Old 12-01-2003, 10:28 PM
SiClone
X-Moder8er

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll try and help answer your questions in the order you asked:
I'm thinking about bridging the final two channels to get about 220W RMS power into 1 channel at 4 ohms. What sub would you recommend to complete the package?
Its hard to say. Try and find a sub that has an rms power rating around 220 watts.
If I got a dual voice coil sub, could I wire it to present a 2 ohm load to the amp and get 440W RMS power? Would it be safe to do this and could the amp handle it?
Depends on the amp. Can the amp handle a 2 ohm bridged load? Most of the 4 channel RF amps cannot do 2 ohms bridged, but I'm not up-to-date with RF's current line, so I can't say for sure. You can check online at RF's website for this. As for wiring a dvc sub, if the amp can only do 4 ohms bridged, then get a 2 ohm dvc sub. If it can do 2 ohms bridged, then you'll want a 4 ohm dvc sub.
how many RCA's am I going to need....What all am I going to need to do this and are two RCA's going to be necessary
Since you have a weird set up (a 2 channel amp for the fronts and a 4 channel amp for the rears and subs) I say you need 3 no matter what. Even if your deck only has 2 pre-outs, you'll still need 3. If there's only 2 pre-outs, then you'll need 1 to the RF (like you said), a short 1 from the RF to the Sony, and 1 from the deck to the RF. If the deck has 3 pre-outs, then you get the point. Most kits come with a pretty basic (some say crappy) rca it in (i.e. Scosche kit at Walmart). Use this one for the sub and buy 2 better/mid-range quality RCAs ($15-20 range) for the interior speakers. You'll want to do this so you can have better control over the Fader and sub-output (if your deck has this).
I could save around $30 going with a kit that only includes one rca
Sorry, but having a system ain't cheap. People sometimes forget to include the wiring and installiaton stuff when trying to budget in a system. This stuff ain't cheap either....
I know I'm going to need a 60 amp fuse for this what does that mean and is an 80 amp fuse better or worse? What do the numbers mean?
How did you figure the 60 amps?? Did you add up what was recommended by the Sony and RF amp?? If so, then you are right - sort of... Ideally, this is what you need right at the battery. It is highly recommended. But some of us (me for example), just go with fuses at a distribution block. What I mean is that I have 4 gauge running from the battery to the trunk and into a fused distribution block. I then use the appropriate fuses, depending on the amp, and run 8 gauge to the respective amps. Works fine for me.

Hope this helped....:thumbup: