Notices
Audio, Security, & Automotive Lighting Troubleshoot wiring problems and get equipment suggestions all in one place. Now expanded to include Automotive Lighting

Stock setup + crossover, amp, sub question.

Old 11-21-2003, 04:25 PM
Somber Goat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stock setup + crossover, amp, sub question.

Cheers,

New to the car audio world(as far as modding), but looking to improve on the current stock system on my 5th gen accord.

A personal friend handed down a JLAudio 12, Kennwood KAC-723 amp, and a MTX RT-X01A crossover. The amp and crossover are mounted to the sub box. He didn't do the install himself oh his car so he was of no help in trying to add it to my car. Basically the wires were cut and moved from one trunk to the other.

After searching through the forum trying to get the feel of the level of skill most people here have and realizing its way over my head, I'm finally breaking down and coming clean. I have no clue what I'm supposed to do with this thing!! :thinking:

So essentially I thought I would just add this little set up to my factory system to add some backbone to it. But honestly and I figure most of you will agree its not really worth it, so now my overall plan is to replace the factory head unit and all four of the speakers. I will warn you guys and gals now I'm not looking for the end all system, just something of an improvement over the factory system, so cost is an issue. (I got a kid on the way!!)

I came up with this little set up mostly cuz of cost.

HU:Kenwood KDC-MPV622
Fronts:Kenwood KFC-1668S
Rear:Kenwood KFC-6907

I know it's all Kenwood but...... like I said cost is an issue and I composed this little package out on crutchfields site and you get a discount on the HU+front+rears as a package, plus they supply the HU kit and Harness, and speaker harness's.

So that would cover the basics and I would like to add that sub amp crossover combo mentioned above to it. I know I should get an amp as well for the 4 inside but that will have to come later.

Does this sound like a decent plan? My real concern is adding on the sub combo, will it be easy to do myself(i'm horrible when it comes to wiring). I can handle the speakers and HU but when it comes to wiring for the sub and amp I'm a lost cause(although not afraid to rip out seats and carpet if I have to). Also I'm not real familiar with the amp set up so I'm not sure if I could use it for both the sub and rear deck speakers or just leave it as is and use the crossover for just the sub. What do you think???

Thanks in advance!

SG

Oh yea, I have a 12 disk pioneer that I'm thinking of adding to the mix. Hey.......why not, it was FREE!!!
Old 11-22-2003, 06:39 PM
Surfacing171
cb7 fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What you have picked out from crutchfield looks good :thumbup: If your challenged at wiring things, I would highly suggest you take it to a stereo shop (that is reputable) and have them install it. The last thing you would want to do is mess that stuff up. Good luck, let us know how it sounds when you get it installed.