Notices
Audio, Security, & Automotive Lighting Troubleshoot wiring problems and get equipment suggestions all in one place. Now expanded to include Automotive Lighting

Sub enclosure (for a single 12)?

Old 11-19-2003, 09:37 PM
Grim

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sub enclosure (for a single 12)?

Ive got a couple questions...

What type of enclosure would get me the most out of just one 12" (I was thinking of getting an infinity kappa perfect 12.1)?

Also, would the type of box affect how much trunk rattle the sub produces? I'd like to avoid this as much as possible.

p.s. if anyone has any comments about this particular sub id like to hear them
Old 11-20-2003, 03:35 PM
Surfacing171
cb7 fanatic

ported will always be louder, give the same sub, amp etc. For the most part, SQ in a sealed box is going to me 10x better than in a ported box, but I've heard some ported subs that sound really tight and clean. All depends on the sub. If your looking at the Kappa Perfect (great sub by the way), I'd go sealed if your looking for some great SQL. If you listen to lots of bass heavy music (rap, techno, bass songs) a ported box is going to sound beautiful and get substantially louder.
Old 11-20-2003, 08:47 PM
2kAccord

IMO a small sealed box is the way to go, porting is a waste of money and produces a fake sound. It all depends on your musical taste though.
Old 11-21-2003, 11:02 AM
Vividkid82

Ive always had bad luck with the infinity Subs...Sound awsome, pound, but Ive blown 2 running them at nominal power and air space with a sealed box.

If you want to spend that kinda of money on a woofer, you can't beat the over all pound per dollar factor of a SoloBaric Squre, but I too have had strange luck with those. The dust caps would keep comming loose and rattling after a few weeks of hard usage.

Another woofer that ive had 0 problems with is the Kicker Comp VR's, Cheap, pound, and havent blown one yet

and if you want to go DIRT cheap...

AudioBahn stuff on ebay is the over all best bang for your buck, as long as you get their higher end woofers. Their low end stuff is garbage.
Old 11-26-2003, 09:11 PM
jdog
Semi old guy

I would go with Dynamat to keep the rattles down. As far as your enclosure....depends on if you want boom or clean and tight bass. Boom...go with the ported enclosure and tight bass with sealed. Hope it goes well for you. Good Luck!
Old 11-26-2003, 09:34 PM
A_D
Reset?

ported can have relatively all the SQ of a sealed enclosure if you build the port right and tune it low
Old 11-27-2003, 08:00 AM
GSteg

i dont' know where people are getting the idea that sealed sounds better than ported. build the box right and tune the port low, then it'll sound good. most of the time people encounter "boomy" sound because their group delay is very high. this is a result if the port is tuned too high for the intended application..

if you decide to go with good accurate bass, don't go with a small sealed box.

one thing though, i would not exceed the perfect's thermal rating too long. it uses a 2.0" diameter, 1.5" winding height coil. thats a small coil to begin with, so much more than 350 watts isn't good. you'll run into power compression early and eventually, your sub will fry.
Old 12-01-2003, 10:32 AM
r2k2d2

The Infinity Kappa Perfect is a good sounding sub, but not reliable. I had a 12" about a year and a half ago, custom built a 1.0 cubic foot sealed box, ran it at RMS power, broke in the sub over a 3 week period and never had the gain very high and it blew. But anyway, it sounded really good in the 1 cubic foot box.