Notices
Audio, Security, & Automotive Lighting Troubleshoot wiring problems and get equipment suggestions all in one place. Now expanded to include Automotive Lighting

2001 EX V6 SS Recommendations

Old 10-18-2003, 05:51 PM
sureshot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 EX V6 SS Recommendations

I've got the 6 disc in-dash CD changer/tape/fm double DIN.

Something about the sound system just doesn't make me happy. I think I got cleaner sound and better bass in my old Sonata with a 35x4 AIWA CD head unit. I certainly don't need block shaking bass (not interested in a trunk woofer or really losing lots of trunk space). But I do like a nice clean sound when I turn it up a little.

I like my in dash CD and I like my steering wheel controls and I don't like the idea of spending big $ so I'd rather not replace the head unit.

First of all, am I dreaming? Is the head unit the limiting factor that cannot be easily worked around?

What would you recommend? I think based on my quick research that I'd need an amp to get decent power to new speakers.

BTW, this is not for a show car or showing off. It's just to make me happy

I'm thinking ~$600-$900 for everything.
Old 10-19-2003, 06:47 PM
nfg05

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

$600-$900 is a good amount of money for just an amp and speakers. You could probably squeeze a head unit into that budget too if u got ur stuff online at a site like ikesound.com, especially if you're able to install it yourself. A pair of Infinity kappa 6.5" coaxials will run you about 85 bucks w/ shipping, another $130 for 3 way 6 x 9's in the back. With about 500 bucks left, u could definitely get a decent head unit and 4 channel amp off ebay. Watch out if you aren't able to install it yourself or with a friend, cuz professional installation is gonna be pricey. I just threw the infinity's out there as a suggestion because I've heard them and the sound is very clear, not as strong on the bass though IMO. Givin up the 6 disc was hard for me but i'm used to it now because I listen to so many different CD's all the time it doesn't bother me as much. Anyway, with your budget you could definitely just get great speakers and an amp and the head unit won't be holding you back THAT much. If you do that be sure to get an amp with speaker level inputs and be prepared for a joy if u plan on wiring it yourself. If you can, I'd give up the 6 disc for a cooler mp3 head unit where u could put tons of mp3s on a cd and listen to that all the time.