Notices
Accord
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Metalic Tint Messes Up Navigation System

Old 10-04-2003, 09:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Metalic Tint Messes Up Navigation System

I have an 03 Accord with Nav. Just tinted the windows and the Nav is going crazy. The signal is really weak and the indicated position of the car is wrong most of the time.

Anyone ran into this problem? Any remedies?

I appreciate all inputs.

Thanks,

Tim
Old 10-04-2003, 09:49 PM
nizmugen

i really doubt its because you tinted the car.

something's wrong with your navigation
Old 10-04-2003, 10:06 PM

It worked fine before the windows were tinted. I remember reading somewhere that metalic tint may interfere with the GPS signal.

Just hoping that someone in the forum has experienced the problem and share some ideas.

I like the windows tinted, and don't want to remove the tint.
Old 10-05-2003, 12:00 AM
Eryeal

Look in the nav manual and find the location of the GPS sensor / antenna .. it could be located near one of your windows and if it's trying to get a reading through the glass -- you are right the tint is probably the problem. Also doesn't the Honda GPS rely on a compass as well? I believe so because the nav system will still function without a GPS signal as it knows the relative speed and heading of your car (as long as the starting point is known) .. perhaps the metallic tint is messing with the internal compass somehow. Just some thoughts .. --Brian
Old 10-05-2003, 03:22 AM
hype8912
Dr. Klaw

It probablly has a internal sensor too. Just find the area where the sensor is and have tint company cut a little area to get it to work.
Old 10-05-2003, 07:43 AM
03accordcoupe
^New car...2003 BMW 330ci

Haven't heard any complaints, and alot of people with nav have tinted their windows...maybe the shop used excessively thick tint?
Old 10-05-2003, 09:53 AM
SumAccordGuy94
Older Honda Fanatic

the metalic tint is just that... it has a metal film in it. The GPS antenna is in the rear deck of the car, and needs the whole rear window to recieve its signal. There is no compass, as GPS does not need a compass. You're gonna need to get normal tint to allow your navi to work.

Metalic tint is ugly and illegal anyway.
Old 10-05-2003, 10:16 AM
Eryeal

>> There is no compass, as GPS does not need a compass.

Yes, but how would the nav system still continue to function when there is no GPS signal, as Honda's does. My guess would be the system would need speed sensors and an internal compass to continue to operate this way. And it's remarkably accurate without a GPS signal (ie going through long tunnels, etc) ..
Old 10-06-2003, 09:14 PM

Here is my observation...

If there is a destination selected, the software will adjust the location of the car with the travel path even if the GPS signal is a bit mixed up. The software tries to maintain the location of the car based on the mapped streets. I had no problem going from San Diego to LA on Sunday.

Without the selected destination and weak signal, everything is pretty much messed up. Tried not to select the destination going back, and it was all screwed up.

I will take the car in to have the rear window retinted with non-metalicized tint. I was no "No charge".
Old 10-06-2003, 09:40 PM
SumAccordGuy94
Older Honda Fanatic

let me correct myself... the tint is not stopping the signal... just interfering with it... almost acting like a mirror for the signal.