Notices
Accord
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Weird noise at low RPM's (5th gen)

Old 10-03-2003, 11:12 PM
pirate252

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Weird noise at low RPM's (5th gen)

My fifth gen ex manual, makes this funny sound in first and second gear when the r's fall below about 2k...it sounds like a motor mount being brokemn or somthing, like a really bad vibration, its pretty loud, i can fix it by givin it a little gas, but its kind of anoying in trafiic when theres no room to take the r's any higher than they are.

I know its not a motor mount though becasue i had the 125k service done a while ago, and they must have checked them because i know they had to replace one...

Is this just a normal noise? It also does it when cold starting, it will idle up to around 2k, and about 1 second after scarting it will idle down, right around that point, amke the weird noise, idle down past that point and stop making the noise.

The noise occurs in nuetral, first, and second, right about 1800 RPM...
Old 10-04-2003, 10:46 AM
SWOOSHER21
Fight Rice

its in the 94-95 accords. its a normal problem. it has to do with the exhaust piping and the connections. for some reason, at about 1800 rpms, there is a vibration. there is nothing to worry about. it goes away if you replace the exhaust with a catback exhaust.
Old 10-04-2003, 10:54 AM
Weiman

yea mine makes a funny noise around there, i could tell it was from my exhauste tho, but its not that offten, and it doesnt happen when im idle.
Old 10-04-2003, 11:13 AM
Mr White

The heatshield around your cat converter is loose.
Infamous 1800rpm buzz, I have it as well.

You can find a way to tighten it up, or buy a $70 buzz kit that Honda sells to fix it (Dont last too long), or just rip it off but if your lowered dont park on high grass.....

Honda knows about this and even makes a fix kit (temp) but wont recall it to fix it.....

http://www.secureleadercom.com/exsto...ept=306&page=2
(Look at the 94-97 4cyl EXHAUST ANTI-RATTLE KIT)
Old 10-04-2003, 11:32 PM
pirate252

Alright, thanks, i just wanted to make sure it wasnt a motor mount after i gave the stupid dealer all that money to fix it
Old 10-05-2003, 11:22 AM
Big Chaze
Mr Clutch

Originally posted by pirate252
Alright, thanks, i just wanted to make sure it wasnt a motor mount after i gave the stupid dealer all that money to fix it
I had the same problem.
It turned out to be a bad downpipe. The inside of the pipe was shattered and that was the cause for the rattle at low rpm's
Old 10-05-2003, 11:22 AM
Brent S

I took the heat shield off the cat and it eliminated the noise. Boy was that noise annoying
Old 10-05-2003, 04:52 PM
pirate252

Yeah i know, i hate it cuz all my freinds give me this weird look and ask me wtf is wrong with my car... and i can hear it over my music, which is defianatly a bad thing
Old 10-05-2003, 06:23 PM
DSi

Originally posted by Brent S
I took the heat shield off the cat and it eliminated the noise. Boy was that noise annoying
did you DIY?
details! details!:thumbup:
Old 10-05-2003, 09:37 PM
Brent S

Originally posted by DSi
did you DIY?
details! details!:thumbup:
Sorry! I didn't actually do it myself, i had the guy at the tire place do it while the car was up on the lift when i was getting new tires. Its tough to do without a lift. From what i could tell he just undid some bolts on the heat shield surrounding the cat and took it off. He may have had to cut it though, i didn't get a real good look. Sorry i can't help more!